Adhesive Remover

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
stomatown

Adhesive Remover

Post by stomatown »

What are you using to remove the residue from either the moldable skin barrier by Coloplast and/or the Cohesive Slims adjustable seals? Anyone using Alcohol or is there something better. I have to scrape off some adhesive off the stoma surronding area during my bag changes. :roll:
Thanks
To Dream a Dream

Re: Adhesive Remover

Post by To Dream a Dream »

I use ConvaTec Moldable Durahesive wafers & when I need an adhesive remover, I use AllKare wipes also by ConvaTec. I buy them thru Parthenon.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Mara

Post by Mara »

I use a Convatec Stomahesive wafer with an Eakin seal. I just remove the residue by gently rubbing when I take off my appliance in the shower. I feel it is giving my skin exercise.... :wink:
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

Wow... Alcohol?
I use a ring before I put on my wafer... And anyone here knows how sticky the ring is.
It depends on how often you change.
I change once a week. Most of it comes off with the wafer.
But the first thing I use because it's kid of a mess is toilet paper!
Yes. It does stick to it and gets most of it off. The ring. Then I use Coloplast adhesive remover to get the rest.... This is before the shower.
When I get in the shower I rinse the area and use the Coloplast again with what is left that I can feel with my finger. It gets it all off. Sounds like a long process but it's actually pretty quick.
I use soap and wash the whole area. It doesn't bother the adhesion of the next ring and wafer. I just make sure it's dry as a bone when I apply my next ring and wafer. I use a blow dryer on cool. Don't use hot.
Richard.
P. S.
I know using T. P. Seems weird but the ring remnants stick to it well. It doesn't get it all off just the chunks or globs left behind.
VonnieM

Post by VonnieM »

Torbot sells a liquid solvent I have used for years. You just apply it with cotton ball. It doesn't leave any sticky residue on your fingers. I buy it in a 16 ounce can. One can will last you a long time.
bagboy

Post by bagboy »

Hi there stomatown,
When I have residual glue from the flange, (I use a two piece system, bag and flange and no other sticky bits or padding between the flange and my skin and typically my flange is changed every six days), I use coloplast glue remover in the aresol can. This glue remover was recommended to me by a stoma nurse as it is very stoma friendly, you can spray it right on the stoma with no ill effect. I expect every major brand of stoma hardware have a similar adhesive and theoretically at least you should get the best results by using brand compatible remover.
The one thing I would be very careful about is to make sure that any glue remover that you do use will not cause a problem to the exposed skin of your stoma.
Otherwise I think Richard/mistercobra^^^^ has a system that is fairly similar to what I do.
Cheers,
Mark
stomatown

Post by stomatown »

Thank You for your input. My only other question would be how long does it take for the AllKare to dry? It seems oily and takek a while to even seem dry and it really doesn'st take off the adhesive very well.
Dijenga

Post by Dijenga »

I simply use the adhesive remover wipes . . . by Adapt, 50 units to a pack (#7760) and usually use 2 packs for a change. They work well and I've even used it to remove residual adhesive from hospital visits.

Get my supplies from Edgepark, but not real impressed by them.