Sweating causing the adhesive to come off

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Yitz 41

Sweating causing the adhesive to come off

Post by Yitz 41 »

Hi ,
I am 2 months post a sub total colectomy. I would like to start running again, but no matter what I do (stomahesive paste, extra adhesive) the adhesive holding the whole pouch in place peels off from excessive sweating. Anybody have any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Yitz
JerryNYC

Re: Sweating causing the adhesive to come off

Post by JerryNYC »

For my ileostomy, after cleaning the skin during an appliance change, I spray the skin around the stoma with "Cavilon Barrier Film" (twice, with drying in between). I also use "Sure Seal Rings" (from Active Life Products Inc) to seal down the face plate before the pouch goes on. They seem to "lock" the faceplate on and are also useful for swimming. I couldn't get by without using both as part of my change routine.
dogtalkerer

Post by dogtalkerer »

here's what I do: (colostomy)
clean area only with paper towel & water. I wear an elastic back support belt very tight for 10-15 minutes to insure best sealing of flange to my skin.
I'll wear a compression tee shirt to keep bag close to body. you need to try different manufacturers, Coloplast sensura and cymed micro skin are the best I've found. but the Mio does not hold for athletics.
if I was doing a 20-30mile mt bike race I wouldn't wear a bag that's more than 2 days old. same with a cross country ski race.
also I wear only 1 piece bags.
Snowgoose

Post by Snowgoose »

I use Hollister's NEW IMAGE FLEXTEND skin barrier with a tape border, and it stays attached in all situations.
When working in the yard or hiking, I sweat, and it stays put. I can swim, shower, etc. and it stays put.
The only time it starts to come loose is if I wear it too long (over 5-7 days)
JerryNYC

Post by JerryNYC »

Snowgoose, The only problem that I have had with tape borders is that I have invariably developed allergic reactions to the tape. I've been using "Sure Seal Rings" for years without any issues.It all depends on how sensitive your skin is. Mine is super sensitive.
Snowgoose

Post by Snowgoose »

Jerry, I hear you. So glad my skin doesn't react. Been using the tape barrier 11 years, never a problem. If I see a reddening area develop, I use a Convatec or Coloplast wipe, clears it every time. Knocking on wood :D
wjh

Post by wjh »

Yitz 41 wrote: 2021-06-21 16:09:46 Hi ,
I am 2 months post a sub total colectomy. I would like to start running again, but no matter what I do (stomahesive paste, extra adhesive) the adhesive holding the whole pouch in place peels off from excessive sweating. Anybody have any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Yitz
I too would like an answer to this. I can't even go out in my yard for fear of sweating & my appliance coming lose ugh..
ron in mich.

Post by ron in mich. »

Hi Yitz and WJH i have sensitive skin and what i use for showers and swimming is nexcare pink tape, you can get it from walmart for about 4 bucks a roll, when i put it on i wait a few minutes so it warms up and sticks better then go about my business.
bagboy

Post by bagboy »

Hi there yitz and wjh,
Before you spend lots of money on different tapes etc I think you should review your skin prep when changing your flange. Try using coloplast or hollister adhesive remover when you change your flange and then using nothing more than soap and water to finish with. Lots of water!
I use a coloplast sensura mio flange with a closed end bag and a liner. No other tapes or glue. I use the bag for two or three days and the flange typically for six days, but only once for the liner! I have rock climbed, ski toured, hiked, scrambled and sea kayaked with this system and found it to work very well, a long active day could be up to 12 or more hours of activity. The only time I have ever had a flange come off was when I was out in the field on a multiday trip and used a baby wipe type of pre soaped cleanser to wash the area around my stoma when I changed my flange. The flange failed within a couple hours of the change. A thorough soap and water wash and water rinse before installing a new flange and I was ready to get back in the boat.
Don’t throw your flanges out without making sure the problem isn’t to do with your soap choice first.
Hope that helps.
Bagboy