Do You Have A Preferred Supplier Of Ostomy Supplies?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Dijenga

Do You Have A Preferred Supplier Of Ostomy Supplies?

Post by Dijenga »

I've tried two: Shield and Edgepark.

Both of the above have on occasion been less than honest with me, which doesn't make me very happy.

Do you have a good -- read "honest" or "works as advertised" -- that meets your needs? I really need to deal with people who do exactly what they say they will. I know that is what they are going to expect of me so it really needs to be a two way street.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.
Mara

Re: Do You Have A Preferred Supplier Of Ostomy Supplies?

Post by Mara »

I use AdaptHealth/Patient Care Solutions - it used to be called McKesson and before that something else...lol....I ordered a refill order online for the first time - I usually like to talk to a person but it was a long wait time - and got my order the next day....Usually service is quick unless you change something in which case they have to contact your physician for a new Rx so that can take a day or so extra..plus they take my insurance - Medicare...

I'm not sure what you mean about being honest - as long as they have the items you need and take your insurance...what else is there??
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
Dijenga

Post by Dijenga »

My stoma was changing (growing) so I ordered a larger wafer and bag, but they only had them in flat not convex. Tried them, did not work. Arranged for return and exchange of unopened product with the promise of a 1 to 1 exchange for the smaller convex wafer and bags I had been using.

Instead of exchanging, they simply returned to stock then denied they had received them when I called to ask when they were sending replacement. So, I waited a month and tried again. Again they denied receiving the product until I gave them the tracking info, then they admitted they received product, but would need to charge my insurance again to get them to do what was originally agreed upon.

I do not like dealing with liars. Old family saying goes, " A man is no better than his word. If his word ain't worth a #@%$, the he ain't worth a #@%$ either!"
Mara

Post by Mara »

How terribly annoying - I see your point.
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
sandys

Post by sandys »

After bad experiences with the larger companies I discovered Duke Medical in Fenton, Mo.Its about 4 hours east of me.
If I call in my order before noon it is usually delivered via FedEx next day. However I think they only do Medicare, but have a sister company for all others. Their number is
+1 (888) 678-6692,give them a call,they are very friendly.
Sandy in Indiana

Ileostomy 1963 age almost 21
Remaining colon and rectum removed 1964
Fairly healthy ever since
Snowgoose

Post by Snowgoose »

I have tried several ostomy suppliers. Edgepark was definitely the worst. I have been using Byram for several years. I am very satisfied with their service and billing.
leyatx

Post by leyatx »

I got my ileostomy in 1979 and have tried all the major suppliers at one time or another. I have used Duke Medical Supply <dukemedicalsupply.com> for the last several months. I've had no late shipments, insurance issues, item errors of any other problems. You get a one-on-one direct email relationship with a customer service rep which I like a lot. If you have a question, it gets answered promptly. No long telephone hold times, no tedious contact forms to fill out. To order, just send an email with your list including the manufacturers' stock numbers. I have an MS Word template for ordering by email that I can change if I need something different from the last order. They have ostomy and urine incontinence supplies, and most of the other stuff. They do not have an online catalog.
Snowgoose

Post by Snowgoose »

Thanks leyatx,
I've never read a negative review of Duke, they advertise a 98% satisfaction, and you confirm it.
Do they bill when ordered, or do they bill after Medicare or insurance pays them?
Stovegut

Post by Stovegut »

YES! After years of no or inadequate insurance, I learned to go straight to the supplier. Torbot Group actually manufactures quite a bit of their appliances. They do not file insurance. Medicare doesn’t allow self filing, (taking care of our lobbyists and other parasites) how ever if you have a friendly dme manager, you can pay cash and they (the manager) can file with the check issued to you. Parthenon Group has an online catalogue, and they can order all kinds of stuff. They will file Medicare but you pay up front and receive a check. The old gentleman who founded the place worked there up into his eighties. Never been cheated. Blow more than one hundred you get free shipping.Torbot Group I stepped on a can of adhesive remover denting can. They replaced. It was still full. Devrom is a good odor reducer. I can get a twelve pack cheaper, with free shipping (over $100.00) from Parthenon.
I have no financial stake in any medical supply company. Vitality Medical has some stuff cheaper( nitrile gloves for instance). No problem with any of these companies.
rbennatti

Post by rbennatti »

I am 71 years old but relatively new to the world of the ostomate. My supplier is Byram...speedy service and very knowledgeable and helpful people
Mjc

Post by Mjc »

Home care direct is amazing so far
used Edgepark until I could no longer tolerate their lies, and deception with charges. They truly are the worst company I have ever dealt with on any product.
ulcerative colitis - age24
total colostomy age 25, ileostomy for 40+ years
total hysterectomy
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

I've used Edgepark for the most part "forever" unless I had a visiting nurse who ordered my supplies. However, in April someone there made a whopper of a mistake and sent the wrong supplies with some that were correct. I was emailed a return label for the erroneous supplies. THEN I received about 6 phone calls about all this and finally rec'd the correct supplies. I wrote a letter to the company and received one indicating that Edgepark would look into the matter. Meanwhile, I created an account with Byram and will be using that company like many in my local support group a;though I've heard that Parthenon and others are fine.

I do think many companies are understaffed now and maybe supplies are hard to order. People are working remotely. The Edgepark young rep I initially communicated with was uninformed about ostomy supplies. Maybe the problem occurred at the warehouse or during shipping. But it was the follow-up calls where I had to repeat myself for an hour each time that caused me to close my Edgepark account.
Diane C
2000 MACE
2002 Colostomy
2018 Above + anus removed; Ileostomy
2020 Scar tissue removed
tlippy

Post by tlippy »

Started out with Byrum. Can't remember what ticked me off that I chose to go with Edgepark. Edgepark is so bad that I wrote a terrible review on BBB. Edgepark responded even. It's a Canadian Company. Their people all work from home. Online ordering is a joke. BUT if you call they have a wonderful work force. It's just too much trouble to change. A love hate relationship. I dread my monthly reorder.
Ileo/April 2007
Anne P

Post by Anne P »

Byram does not carry a Bard night drainage bag, and I would like to order a back-up bag, for when the bag I was discharged with, needs to be replaced. Can I receive supplies from two different suppliers at the same time? If so, which supplier are you using, that carries Bard?
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Parthenon has been in service for a long time & I find nice to deal with.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx