Abscess / ulcer treatment

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
clw+3052

Abscess / ulcer treatment

Post by clw+3052 »

Hello -first time responder to this very informative site and would like to know how anyone would respond to the above subject. I've had an ileostomy since 1976 due to ulcerative colitis and have had the normal amount of revisions over the years. I do get these ulcers from time to time quite near the stoma and have been able to manage these by using the extra thin duoderm pads, I've been told duoderm is used to treat bedsores so I'm not surprised they normally work for me. However, over the last month this is not working and seems to be getting larger. I have talked to a few wound care people asking why these develope and basically state it could be because of my autoimmune system fighting itself and to keep using the duoderm. Has anyone experienced these ulcers and if so how do you attack these? Appreciate any feedback.

You people who are the regulars here and constantly give advice, encouragement and love should stand up and take bows. I consider myself fortunate when I read some of these situations and people who are going through much pain and grief.

Thanks

Patrick
ron in mich.

Re: Abscess / ulcer treatment

Post by ron in mich. »

Hi Patrick have you tried stoma powder under the duoderm as that promotes healing.
clw+3052

Post by clw+3052 »

Thanks Ron and fellow Michigander and no I have not tried the powder but I will tomorrow. I have used the powder sometimes as an additional barrier around the stoma. Makes perfect sense. Thanks again.

Patrick
chrisc

Post by chrisc »

Hi, Patrick!
In my experience, I recommend seeing a dermatologist for the ulcers. I spent 3 years trying to get a diagnosis for mine. Numerous WOCN visits, tests for everything including cancer and Crohn's. Nothing conclusive. My Dermatologist took one look and diagnosed Pyoderma gangrenosum. With steroid injections, antibiotic ointment and tegaderm we got it cleared up in 3 weeks. It is an autoimmune disorder, and is common with UC. I am not a medical professional, just a "professional patient" since 1979! :)
clw+3052

Post by clw+3052 »

Hello chrisc and thank you for the invaluable info you sent. I believe Pyoderma gangrenosum sounds very familiar as its been a few years since I've seen a WOCN and do remember them mentioning a Pyoderma something. I do get these ulcers quite frequently, maybe 1 every 4-6 months or on occasion every 3 months. I can manage these 99% of the time but this one was dragging out a little longer than I was accustomed to. I'm happy to say that this ulcer is now starting to heal quite nicely and getting smaller. Don't know if was the stoma powder + the duoderm wafer combo but it's looking good.

Thanks again for your input.

Patrick
Psz

Post by Psz »

I had a mucutaneous seperation of skin around my stomach. My surgeon recommended Hydrofera blue. They make it for stoma's too. I found I had to put some paste around the edge of it to prevent leaks.
https://www.woundsource.com/poster/wc-h ... ree-option
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

I do the same thing as Ron. I fill the divot with powder, make sure I get it even with the skin. Then make sure it's covered with skin barrier spray. Then apply the duoderm. I don't get them often, but when I do, this routine usually does the trick.
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2