Rectal Stump Discharge

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Nia+elm

Re: Rectal Stump Discharge

Post by Nia+elm »

Hi I had a colostomy 2.5 years with slimy, smelly rectal discharge on a regular basis since the beginning. I roll up a cotton pad and change as needed. I also wear depends from oab. My colorectal Dr by has no solution
ArmyVet1975

Post by ArmyVet1975 »

I used panty liners with the tape to my underwear. Worked pretty good. Wasn't uncomfortable.
mf15

Post by mf15 »

BillGK wrote: 2022-07-04 16:11:43 I do fecal transfers, typically twice a day. As far as I know I “invented” this because I’ve described it to two different colo-rectal surgeons at Mayo, along with two primary care physicians, along with two gastroenterologists, and not a one had ever heard of such a thing - to a person, they loved the idea and they all told me “keep doing it!”. I got the idea from reading about fecal transplants from one person to another for things like curing c.diff. I thought, if my problem is the lack of short chain fatty acids to nourish the rectal stump, and the medical community solutions are foreign substances such as steroid suppositories, Canasa, Rowesa, specialty lab concoctions, antibiotics, saltwater, on-and-on, why not transfer my own output to my rectum - a rearrangement of nature, lol, rather than introducing foreign stuff, nearly all of which I tried, and none of which ever worked for me. I’ve devised a method that is absolutely free of messiness. Takes about 10 minutes, tops.

It allows me to live my life w/o daily, ongoing misery. I feel normal almost all of the time. Since I was out of other conservative options, it’s lucky for me that I thought of this. The only thing left was removing the rectal stump, a big surgery. Once the belly has been compromised by surgery another surgery is no sure thing. In my view another surgery may be a situation of trading a set of known problems for a set of unknown problems, and I think that there are a number of ostomates that will confirm this view. Until I can’t find conservative management methods I’ll manage my problems conservatively.
Doc's should have known about autologous fecal transplant for diversion colitis,it has been around since at least 2015.
https://academic.oup.com/ibdjournal/art ... 29/5078833
just search google for other studies.

That being said if have a rectal stump due to UC like me then might not be a good idea,to put UC stool back into stump. Don't know.
I am looking into trying to feed stump from blood supply. Other options fermentable fiber enema,plus others.

A I suspected does not look safe if had IBD.
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/3652/5 ... d04ec6.pdf
Oldmike
Last edited by mf15 on 2022-07-19 11:29:50, edited 1 time in total.
Psz

Post by Psz »

Six weeks post op here too. No rectal discharge until last week and now it's everyday. It's very uncomfortable too when the area spasms. Normally I get the urge and can control it. But sometimes leaks. Just another aspect to get used to on my journey.
Psz

Post by Psz »

Plus, I find it's worse if I have anything alcohol the night before. I know they say don't but I like my wine with dinner. But going to stop and see if it's better.
fapope

Post by fapope »

Try searching under "Rectal Mucus" It is discussed frequently on this forum. It may clear up or reduce over time, it may not. I personally believe that a bacterial build-up, living off the mucus acts as a irritant and causes excessive discharge? I may be wrong but regardless. Mine could vary from a wax like pellets to an odourless fluid every week or so. To a putrid discharge several times a day. Two basic options worked for me. Irrigation or suppositories. I initially tried irrigation every few days and this helped immensely. The suppositories (Prednisolone as sodium phosphate 5mg)were magic and I eventually only needed one every couple weeks or so to get control.
markmd1112

Post by markmd1112 »

Hello. I just came across the following post and think it may be the solution for my severe and debilitating symptoms of diversion colitis. Diversion colitis was confirmed by Flex Sigmoidoscopy. I have severe pain, extreme tenesmus and copious mucus production from my rectal stump which was left after an end sigmoid colostomy almost 10 months ago. My rectum, anus and about 16 cm of colon was left intact. Not sure why the surgeon did that. When I ask he is very evasive. I found out later that unbeknownst to me the surgery was actually done by a fist year resident at the teaching hospital. The surgeon had assured me that he would do the surgery himself. I suspect that the surgeon may not even have been present the entire time during the surgery. But, that's a different topic. I have a daunting problem now and I have to deal with it as best as I can. I had the colostomy because of inability to expel stool via the ano-rectal canal due to pelvic floor dysynergia. I'm a 70 yo male. I developed the PF dysynergia at age 68 probably due to nerve damage done during an inguinal hernia repair with mesh. Anyway, the mucus buildup in my rectum is extremely painful and I try to expel it by applying small water enemas (about 60 ml). This gives me very brief relief but then it leads to spasmodic and burning pain in my rectum which is intolerable. This continues for hours and lately days. This is probably because I have to strain due to to expel the water with some mucus because of my PF dysynergia. The straining causes my stump to go into spasms and the water from the enema irritates my canal. Several colo-rectal surgeons, general surgeons, and GI's I have consulted about this at Mayo Clinic. Johns Hopkins and Cleveland Clinic have no solutions for me.

TO THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THE FOLLOWING, WOULD BE IMMENSELY GRATEFUL IF YOU SHARE YOUR PROCESS FOR THE FECAL TRANSFER.

I do fecal transfers, typically twice a day. As far as I know I “invented” this because I’ve described it to two different colo-rectal surgeons at Mayo, along with two primary care physicians, along with two gastroenterologists, and not a one had ever hard of such a thing - to a person, they loved the idea and they all told me “keep doing it!”. I got the idea from reading about fecal transplants from one person to another for things like curing c.diff. I thought, if my problem is the lack of short chain fatty acids to nourish the rectal stump, and the medical community solutions are foreign substances such as steroid suppositories, Canasa, Rowesa, specialty lab concoctions, antibiotics, saltwater, on-and-on, why not transfer my own output to my rectum - a rearrangement of nature, lol, rather than introducing foreign stuff, nearly all of which I tried, and none of which ever worked for me. I’ve devised a method that is absolutely free of messiness. Takes about 10 minutes, tops.

NEEDLESS TO SAY, ANY OTHER INSIGHTS AND/OR SUGGESTIONS FOR HOW I CAN GET SOME RELIEF FROM MY UNBEARABLE SITUATION WOULD BE A HUGE HELP AND FOREVER APPRECIATED.
ArmyVet1975

Post by ArmyVet1975 »

Markmd1112
I'm not sure the user BillGK, who posted the info on fecal transfers, will see this post as he was quoted by another user, mf15.
Scroll up and tap his user name, BillGK, and it will take you to his profile page where you can email him or send a PM (private message).
Also user mf15 supplied a couple of links to info that may be useful to you.
I hope you find some relief soon.
klancee

Post by klancee »

markmd1112, I would like to know more about your procedure and how to do a fecal transfer? I am experiencing major mucus for 2 years and need a solution. how can I get more information on this.
BillGK

Post by BillGK »

I don’t know what Markmd wound up doing. He PM’d me and I explained the process that I use and never heard from him again. He sounded miserable, based on what he wrote above, but apparently not miserable enough to do what I do, which does seem pretty disgusting. But it’s amazing how, when something relieves total misery, how quickly “disgusting” fades into just another routine thing that I have to do in order to get my quality of life back and at the same time not have to risk further surgical remedy, which would be major surgery..
klancee

Post by klancee »

BillGK, I am looking for information on how you do a fecal transfer, I have tried a couple of different ways and am hoping to find an easier method. I agree Our new normal is different than other peoples normal and I need help. I find the mucus hard to deal with and hope that I can find a solution. I thought it might be an infection so have been on antibiotics for over a week and did not find it helped.But I do think that what I did with my version of a fecal transfer helped.I have had my stoma sense 2017 and only just started to have the mucus this last year or so, and it is getting progressively worse.
klancee

Post by klancee »

I have had help with this topic, Bill, has answered my questions and helped me a lot. I am doing fecal transfers and experiencing relief from the mucus. I am hoping that this is the solution. Yes it might be a messy solution but if it works then it is worth it. Thanks for everyone's help and input.