Stoma placement

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Jrt1352

Stoma placement

Post by Jrt1352 »

Good morning I am scheduled to have my j pouch removed and a permanent ileostomy placed tomorrow morning. I wanted to see if anyone that has had this surgery was able to use the site of their temporary ileostomy or if the surgeon decided to use a new/unscarred location for the new ileostomy. I just want to make sure that the new location is a spot that won’t give me any issues with the appliance sticking etc.
To Dream a Dream

Re: Stoma placement

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Prayers & my good thoughts to you for tomorrow. If your surgeon is assessible today, by all means address your very valid concerns to them. Do you have a WOCRN? If so, contact them as well. A surgical nurse practitioner could also be of great help. If you are in a major 'teaching' facility, bombard every resident or med student that comes in. Hopefully, somebody can answer or relay your questions to the proper source.
My best to you & please check in with our board to let us know how you are.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

I would think that they should be able to use the site from your temporary ileostomy unless there is some sort of unusual scarring...
If that spot worked for you, then definitely have your preference known....you're the one that is going to live with it, so make sure it is in the most functional place for you and your needs/activities. Stomas can be placed almost anywhere...within reason, so find a place that works for you. If you can't use the original location, then try different locations with a pouch filled with some applesauce (or similarly textured substance) in different areas before the surgery, so that you can figure out what is the most functional spot for you. Do not be afraid to advocate for yourself on this part of the procedure. A poorly placed stoma can be exhausting....
Hope that helps.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Jrt1352

Post by Jrt1352 »

Thanks so much. I plan on meeting with the surgeon before any cutting starts.