ConvaTec Replacement Natura Pouch

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
To Dream a Dream

ConvaTec Replacement Natura Pouch

Post by To Dream a Dream »

I received a notice in my last order from my local supplier that my Natura pouches were being discontinued. I called ConvaTec & spoke with a very nice representative who told me that my pouch with a reference number of 413334 was being replaced with a new model & she would send me samples. They arrived within 3 days & I tried one. Happily, I can report that at least to me they show a definite improvement. The velcro-type closure is much easier for my old hands to manage & seals securely. Important to me as I have a higher liquid discharge especially during the night. I found a wider spout easier to empty & also clean. The interior pouch material does not seem to 'hug 'the stoma & will hopefully prove less of an irritant for those of us with sensitivity issues. I hesitate to say I feel as if I'm not wearing a bag, but I actually do. The pouch itself is covered by a fine gage pellon-type non-woven material comfortable enough to discard my usual separate pouch cover. ConvaTec has added a little pocket-type feature at the closure area so that the it may be flipped within actually encasing the velcro. My main concern was that they had streamlined the profile which might mean reducing the amount of volume accommodated, but so far it has not presented an issue.
During a pandemic that has altered & adversely affected many areas of our lives, I was greatly relieved by this over-all improvement to my own quality of life with an ostomy.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Mara

Re: ConvaTec Replacement Natura Pouch

Post by Mara »

I just went to the Convatec website and it seems like the one I use, 401934, is not being discontinued but I will call on Monday and double check....I am glad the new model seems to work for you, TDaD.

I have been using the same flange and pouch for decades and I often think a discontinuance is inevitable - at least you were given notice!!

Thank you so much for the post!!
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
To Dream a Dream

Hi Mara: Good to see your startled kitty avatar. Yes, I do like the pouch samples, but for general information, I have yet to check into their pricing. If my memory serves me correctly, there are only ten in a box now. Take care & enjoy the nice weather.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
PLS

Post by PLS »

Hello all,
I got the same notice from the VA pharmacy in Houston. I also get supplies through Medicare. My supplier just automatically sent me the new pouches. the only difference I see is the shape of the pouch. Not as opaque too. But they do the job they were made for.

Pete
Mara

Post by Mara »

TDaD - just to let you know - I did call Convatec on Monday and was advised that my pouch is not being discontinued...thank goodness. I use the old fashioned clip closure and the rep told me there would always be that type of pouch - hopefully I am not the only person using it...lol....She also said that there would be a notice in the box if that particular item was being discontinued. Of course I said who knows how old the box I receive from my distributor is...lol....

Anyway, thanks for your original post and good luck to you and PLS with your new pouches - hope they are new and improved.....or at least not a problem....
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Post by Bob Webtech »

ConvaTec's website includes info on products being discontinued on their "Compass" page at https://www.convatec.com/compass-ostomy-product-finder/
Within that page, there's a link labeled "View the 2021 Product Transition Guide".
Here's a picture of a table in that document showing the discontinued products and their replacements:

Bob Baumel, UOAA discussion board administrator
Mara

Post by Mara »

Thanks for the link, Bob Webtech!!
Now the trick is to remember to check it out from time to time.... :wink:
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

Mara wrote: 2021-10-13 12:01:01 TDaD - just to let you know - I did call Convatec on Monday and was advised that my pouch is not being discontinued...thank goodness. I use the old fashioned clip closure and the rep told me there would always be that type of pouch - hopefully I am not the only person using it...lol....She also said that there would be a notice in the box if that particular item was being discontinued. Of course I said who knows how old the box I receive from my distributor is...lol....

Anyway, thanks for your original post and good luck to you and PLS with your new pouches - hope they are new and improved.....or at least not a problem....
You are not the only person using the old style clips. It's worked for more than 35 years so ...... until they discontinue something I'm sticking with this.
Mara

Post by Mara »

Yes, we often have a lot in common, NEskier!! Great minds..... :D :lol:
texazgal

Post by texazgal »

Hmmm, I just checked and it looks like mine is being replaced as well. I use a velcro closure and about the only thing different is 10 in box. I'm okay with that as the barrier I use is 10 in a box. The bummer is Edgepark is out of stock for that one. I'm hoping to be able to order before December as that was a major hassle last year and could be worse this year with all the shortages.
sandys

Post by sandys »

I’ve been using both the new pouches with the easy velcro closure and the old pouches with a clip. Both have advantages, the new model has a cuff at the bottom which you can turn under for more security and the look of a closed pouch.

On old model with clip it is easier to clean out the spout and has a less bulky feel.

Im on Medicare which has a generous supply allowance I order quarterly.

Take care,
Sandy in Indiana

Ileostomy 1963 age almost 21
Remaining colon and rectum removed 1964
Fairly healthy ever since
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I got switched to them with my last order, and have been using them alternately with the old version.

Pros: I like that the end tucks up, making the pouch shorter, and not leaving the stiff end flapping around to poke me.
The outside surface is nice.

Cons: the seal seems to leak just a teensy bit sometimes. I notice when I'm emptying.
They seem a little flimsier than the old pouches.
It seems like the filter conks out a little sooner.

Update: they don't seal onto the wafer very well. They're too easy to remove, and sometimes I notice they've unsealed just a tiny bit, and I can hear them click back into place when I press on them. I've been ostomating for six years, this is not normal.
Anybody else have this issue?

Update to the update: those problems may just have been with the first box. I'm no longer having the seal or leak problems.

But they are still a bit flimsy and the filters clog up too soon.
Last edited by steiconi on 2022-03-03 20:10:02, edited 4 times in total.
Lee

I am not my disease.
sharon

Post by sharon »

I just looked up my convatec product (401506) and it looks like maybe they're switching to a velcro closure. That would be ok, since I've been using rubber bands for a closure for many years--this is how it was done 50 years ago when I first had surgery, and I've been doing it that way since!!

I'd welcome a different way to close the pouch as long as it's secure.
To Dream a Dream

Oh, I do remember those little rubber bands on the old United pouches that I used before ConvaTec's inception. Nasty things would stretch or pop at inconvenient times. Also, had to attach a faceplate during each change to a Stomahesive wafer with a double-sided adhesive disc. And used an evil smelling solvent (the contents of which are probably banned today) to remove the sticky residue. How far things have come!
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
sharon

Post by sharon »

I remember the solvent and the glue we had to paint on. I'm sure all that stuff is banned these days!!