Emotional Support

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
avadenise

Emotional Support

Post by avadenise »

Good evening,
I am 65 years old female. This took a lot to register, and to share. The truth is no one else will understand. I had heart and kidney transplants a little over a year ago, and six weeks later my bowel ruptured. I woke up not knowing what had happened, what an ostomy was, that it may be permeant, and I feel lost. I am grateful that I survived the surgery, the doctor told my son I would not make it through the night. With the surgeries, almost 6 months in the hospital. There was no time to explain anything to me. Any advice would be helpful.

Denise
lolapergola

Re: Emotional Support

Post by lolapergola »

Welcome Ava , what a rough time you've had .I hope you are feeling better and getting stronger each day .
There is plenty to read on this site and tips and how to care for your stoma .We all start off feeling alone and wondering if we'll cope , but in time you'll feel better .Why don't you write a bit more about yourself ? is it a colostomy , or ileostomy ? are you in Europe or the U/S ? do you have any support etc ?
I'm sure others will be along soon to answer your questions etc ,
best wishes
Lola.x
To Dream a Dream

Re: Emotional Support

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Welcome & thank you for posting on our Discussion Board where you can read about the experiences of so many others. Believe me that most of us have felt & often still feel (myself included) the feelings you describe. I've found much encouragement from the folks who belong to UOAA & share their stories on the website which also lists local support groups. In the UOAA's Phoenix Magazine that provides information about up-to-date medical advances & supplies in ostomy care. Here's is a link that will be of help: https://www.ostomy.org
Please continue to visit our Board & know that you are not alone.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx