Contrast enema CT scan experiences?

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
betrue

Contrast enema CT scan experiences?

Post by betrue »

Love all the firsthand insight. Thank you! I don't mean to scare anyone but I had a rare but really awful experience with a preop test. Now I am wondering what the "normal" experience has been for other ileostomates.
I went in for a non-barium contrast enema CT scan so my doctor could see how my coloanal reconnection had healed from July 2021 surgery. (prior surgery June 2019 for ovarian tumor) No leaks detected. Per doctor, okay to go forward with ileostomy reversal. About 6 hours later I went to the ER. It would seem the test itself caused a bowel perforation.

After my hospital stay, I had a follow up visit with my doctor. He informed me that none of his patients ever experienced any (?) side effects from the enema procedure and this is a standard test that he uses all the time. Therefore all my symptoms were because of the perforation. In contrast, the on-call night nurse (with on-call doctor access) whom we called before going to the ER, informed us that my symptoms were "normal" post-procedure side effects. I had severe abdominal cramping with little control over the voiding of my bowel still half full of enema fluid when I left the lab (muscles not used in a long time) and vomiting until nothing left. Somewhere in the process I was told - probably while in the radiology lab - that irritation from the contrast and slight cramping were possible side effects. I don't remember receiving any other warnings. So I am confused as to what should have been normal symptoms and what should have been big red flags. I would love to hear what other ileostomates have experienced with this test - fluoroscopic contrast enema scan or similar tests.
Angelee

Re: Contrast enema CT scan experiences?

Post by Angelee »

I noticed that you have not received a response to your post so I registered for this forum so I could answer. I had my first enema CT scan in November of 2020 while I was in the hospital. At the time I still had my entire colon. While it was uncomfortable it was bearable. I had a second CT scan in early December of this year in preparation for an ileostomy reversal.This time I had had a partial colectomy. It was the most painful experience of my life, worse than before I had wound up in the ER prior to multiple surgeries.I had severe cramping during the procedure and for three days afterward. Like you I also had nausea and vomiting afterwards. I will never have that test again. So you are not alone. I do think that our experience was not typical. I hope this is helpful.
betrue

Post by betrue »

Yes, always helpful to know that I am not alone. My suspicion is that others do have some side effects from the test but that they don't rate a mention for most people because for them the test was a minor annoyance compared to everything else they are going through.
Angelee

Post by Angelee »

Have you had the reversal? If so and you are willing I would like to compare notes.
betrue

Post by betrue »

My reversal surgery has been put off for several more months. Dr wants the perforation to heal and to be sure that my July anastomosis surgery site has fully healed since he thinks the perforation was an indication that I haven't healed from that yet. I will post updates as they come.
Angelee

Post by Angelee »

I am a little over three weeks post reversal. There are some issues but I am happy that I had the surgery. If I can help you in any way please let me know. Happy new year!
ChristianWEH

Post by ChristianWEH »

OMG I just had this exact procedure 3 days ago. I dont know what normal is for this....But for me it was a multi hour nightmare. So after receiving the contrast they had me lay on my side for 5 minutes to let the fluid drain from my illeostomy. Then they said " OK, were all done" and usherd me to the bathroom where the real nightmare began. I get my supply bag out and am getting set up when all of a sudden my ostomy start gushing out shit like a firehouse. It finally stopped and I cleaned as fast as I could and put my device on. The second I stuck it on, the flood gates opened. My wafer wouldn't stick and it looked like a gruesome murder had taken place except instead of blood it was poop...EVERYWHERE! This went on for 2 hours and all I could do was stand there naked, pressed against the sink standing in a puddle of poo. I'm a Cop so having a day like this all I could do was embrace the suck! Finally after 2 hours I asked a nurse for the closest thing they had to super glue. I glued the bag right to me and cleaned up as much as I could. Driving home it busted open again and thanks to good old Seattle traffic, there I was, In my truck, sitting in a puddle of shit just praying for it to end and to get home. My advice if anyone reads this. Bring extra clothes and extra supplies. The contrast did not agree with my system and this kind of thing can happen. In a weird way I'm thankful for it. Kind of a rock bottom moment (no pun intended)