Urostomy Hernia

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
grizman8

Urostomy Hernia

Post by grizman8 »

A urologist has recommended a urostomy. Does anyone know how common hernias are with a urostomy?
ot dave

Re: Urostomy Hernia

Post by ot dave »

An ostomy, by definition, is technically a hernia. So, when you have an ostomy, you already have a hernia. Parastomal hernia are what give ostomates problems. Each ostomate is individual, and likewise, the formation of a parastomal hernia will be unique to each person. Some are more inclined to get them than others. I'm going in for a second parastomal hernia repair this summer....I've had my colostomy since 2009. There are a number of factors that play into the formation of a parastomal hernia, so there is not one definitive answer that is right for everyone. That said, my parastomal hernia doesn't really give me any issues other than discomfort when I'm not wearing my abdominal binder, and it's getting harder to hide under clothing as it is "falling" further over my belt line. Parastomal hernias are quite common, but shouldn't be your biggest concern when getting an ostomy.

Hope that helps some.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
NewbieUro

Re: Urostomy Hernia

Post by NewbieUro »

I've read that something like 40-50% get parastomal hernias. I've also read that sometimes a hernia belt will prevent them. And I've also read -- and this is the important part -- that it depends on how fit you are and that advanced age makes a difference. I'm a more sedentary type, prone to constipation (which causes straining, which causes...), have poor core strength, am in my late 60s, and guess what? I developed a parastomal hernia. You might be able to avoid one by doing exercises before surgery and wearing a belt, but I don't know. You could ask your urologist or surgeon what they think, given your age and physical condition.