Help

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Lerbus

Help

Post by Lerbus »

I have been having technology problems and have really missed this group. My son-in-law has had a very difficult time. In August he had gallbladder surgery and the surgeon knicked his bowel necessitating leaving a 6 1/2” gaping hole open where you could look down and watch his organs work. Within days he developed fissures so now he has a stoma + fissure and poop has laid in the cavity and caught in an Ostomy bag some of the time. 8 months and 125 lbs. lost and inability to eat. He has been in the hospital more than at home. He has thrown up so much his esophagus has closed with scar tissue so he can’t even get water down.

His opening is raw and looks terrible. They are telling us they can’t close him up because of poor nutrition. My daughter is distraught! She called to ask about a product called Marathon No sting cyanoacrylate . Is anyone familiar with this product? Is it helpful? The whole area looks awful. Any suggestions? They are suggesting that they won’t be able to close him up until probably late summer.

Sorry this is so long. I would appreciate any input. Wishing all of you the very best.
ot dave

Re: Help

Post by ot dave »

I have no experience with this product. Reading about it online sounds like it might be useful. I would apply it and then cover with tegaderm or duoderm, especially the raw looking places. I use duoderm when I get an area that needs to heal. I'm not positive, but I think it's a little thinner than the tegaderm, but don't quote me on that. The duoderm is nice in that it allows air to get to the raw skin while also protecting it from any output.

Another thing that I would recommend trying is simply rinsing out the pouch with warm water after emptying. The water will help neutralize acidic environments that are prone to occur under the edges of flanges where a lot of the rawness begins.

I hope that helps some.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2