Decline in Convatec's Products and Service

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
To Dream a Dream

Re: Decline in Convatec's Products and Service

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Thanks for keeping Our Board informed. 'Seems so many of us are afflicted with schedule conflicts, backlogs, etc. Difficult to keep up. Good luck & hope to hear from you afterwards.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

Good to know Convatec is taking the complaints seriously. Or at least enough to schedule a meeting with you. Thank you for taking point!
Mara

Post by Mara »

I certainly don't mean to minimize the work and efforts of sabresfan - still wondering how he scored an appointment with the Convatec higher-ups - but talk is cheap imo. I have complained numerous times over the years to Convatec as I am sure many, many others have and I don't really think anything much has improved.

Right, as sabresfan said, my pouch has not been discontinued so I have yet to suffer through a replacement.....and, fingers crossed, hope I don't have to in the future....

Unfortunately, quality of many items is a lot less than it used to be - how long does anything last nowadays so I guess ostomy products are in the same boat...
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

Mara wrote: 2022-07-16 15:10:09 I certainly don't mean to minimize the work and efforts of sabresfan - still wondering how he scored an appointment with the Convatec higher-ups - but talk is cheap imo. I have complained numerous times over the years to Convatec as I am sure many, many others have and I don't really think anything much has improved.

Right, as sabresfan said, my pouch has not been discontinued so I have yet to suffer through a replacement.....and, fingers crossed, hope I don't have to in the future....

Unfortunately, quality of many items is a lot less than it used to be - how long does anything last nowadays so I guess ostomy products are in the same boat...
Hi, again, Mara,

I am happy to forward you emails between myself and Convatec as well as the FDA, as I've already offered to do earlier in the thread. My talk is not cheap -- nothing I have stated is untrue, and I'm willing to help you understand that.

This is a multimillion-dollar company, and I respectfully disagree with your stance regarding rolling over on a decline in quality. I have supported this company for 25+ years, and I expect better results when they claim they've innovated their products.

As you've recognized: your products remain unaffected. Perhaps your time might be better spent remaining thankful instead of suggesting that others settle for a decline in their level of care? As I have previously stated, if the Convatec supplies you're using are working, then I believe you should continue utilizing them if they give you the confidence and durability you seek. This thread was intended to be a space for ostomy patients that Convatec's recent quality issues have negatively impacted.

And to answer your question regarding how I "scored an appointment with the Convatec higher-ups?" I did my research as to what my rights were as a consumer and then contacted the regulating organizations. I then contacted Convatec customer service and continued to speak to critical staff members within the organization. I "scored" a meeting with Mani Gopal who was the COO before Bruno and I have "scored" two additional meetings with Bruno and his supporting staff since.

While you don't mean to minimize my effort, please try to understand how your comments appear to reduce my effort and diminish the struggle that many of us are going through.

Thanks for your input.
Mara

Post by Mara »

You misunderstood me, sabresfan - I meant Convatec's talk is cheap....saying they would improve things and nothing happens. Sorry for the confusion!!
And if you look at my history on the board I have many times recommended that people here complain when they are having problems with their supplies. Never told anyone to settle at all.
I certainly hope your efforts bring improvement!!
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

Mara wrote: 2022-07-17 08:35:42 You misunderstood me, sabresfan - I meant Convatec's talk is cheap....saying they would improve things and nothing happens. Sorry for the confusion!!
And if you look at my history on the board I have many times recommended that people here complain when they are having problems with their supplies. Never told anyone to settle at all.
I certainly hope your efforts bring improvement!!

Apologies for my misunderstanding. As you can tell, I am passionate about this and intend on making sure everything Convatec did surrounding this new line was within FDA and CMS guidelines and policies.
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

Quick update: Karin from Convatec reached out to me the other day when they found out I've been referring new ostomy patients to every company but theirs and publically sharing their quality control issues. They want to move my meeting up from August 29th. I am going to keep the meeting at the end of August, I am done moving my academic, professional and social obligations around to accommodate the organization.

I am hoping the FDA audit occurs soon. I plan on filing a claim with CMS shortly after I receive the information from the FDA audit via the Freedom of Information request portal.

Thanks for all of you who have followed along and lent support.

I'll keep you update at the end of August.
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

Skimming the FDA website, found this:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... 183&pc=EZQ

Same problems from the bags resulted in cellulitis, the patient ended up being hospitalized for antibiotic treatment.

I again cannot encourage people enough to reach out to the FDA if you've been negatively impacted by Convatec's new pouch line. This is not an isolated incident.

Thanks.
darick

Post by darick »

I've been on the road lately, haven't kept up with the forum. I think I've encountered this same issue, but I don't have the boxes or lot numbers. I have some bags that do leak smell now that never used to. I've unboxed and mixed supplies, so my fault on not being able to pin point it more. I guess they will fade out over the next few months.
Ewings Sarcoma: 1996; G-tube: 1997; Cecostomy: 1998-99; Colostomy: ~2000; Irrigator: 2013-
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

darick wrote: 2022-08-09 22:15:14 I've been on the road lately, haven't kept up with the forum. I think I've encountered this same issue, but I don't have the boxes or lot numbers. I have some bags that do leak smell now that never used to. I've unboxed and mixed supplies, so my fault on not being able to pin point it more. I guess they will fade out over the next few months.
Just for your reference: you do not need specific lot numbers to report an issue to the FDA with my provided hyperlinks. It allows you to submit a problem specific to the model you're using (without including lot information).

Convatec (and I imagine the FDA) is aware that this problem is not a lot issue, it's a product line issue.
darick

Post by darick »

I'll check out that link.

The products I have ordered for years: 125264, 416406, 839005, 401989
Ewings Sarcoma: 1996; G-tube: 1997; Cecostomy: 1998-99; Colostomy: ~2000; Irrigator: 2013-
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

I'll be meeting with Bruno (Convatec's Ostomy Division's CEO) and his team on Monday again. Does anyone have any last-minute points they'd like me to bring to the meeting?

Have a nice Friday + weekend, UOAA.
To Dream a Dream

Sabresfan18: Thanks again for advocating for all of us. I have been experiencing some leakage at the velcro-type closure on the new pouches. Perhaps it could be lengthened a bit for more security? Having an especially liquid discharge does exacerbate the issue. May all go well at the meeting. Your taking the initiative in this matter is admired.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I've had tail leakage, too, but most concerning for me is that some pouches come uncoupled from the wafer. Just in one tiny spot, but enough to smell, to leak, to stain, and to lose trust in the brand.
I've used several brands and styles over the last 8 years, the new convatec pouches are the only ones I've had this issue with.
Lee

I am not my disease.
To Dream a Dream

Lee: I change my appliance lying prone in the bathtub in the morning. NPO as I have high liquid volume due to malabsorption. Not the pleasantest task as I age. I actually like the new pouches as they seem to fit my body-type. But as you mention, I have experienced a problem snapping them on. Attributing it to age-related poor eyesight, arthritic fingers & abdominal edema, all of which I am sure does not help.
As far as I can figure, the pouch rings are made to just grab the upper edge of the wafer ring. (Does that make any sense?) And if aligned perfectly, they will hold. I always test them by snapping them together manually before I attempt a change (I've learned over the years), but even that precaution does not replicate that of attempting attachment to a squishy belly.
As for the spout opening, I try to keep it as dry as I can with toilet tissue to deter leakage. Which does occur unfortunately.
Thanks for your post & to all who present their personal experiences with these appliance issues.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx