Decline in Convatec's Products and Service

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
sabresfan18

Decline in Convatec's Products and Service

Post by sabresfan18 »

Has anyone else had issues with Convatec recently? They discontinued the pouches I've used for 25+ years and told me they were being replaced with an "upgraded" product. The product they sent me smells and is very poorly designed/made. My contact with customer service has been frustrating; while they're nice, there's not much they can do for me. I'm navigating leadership at this point, but I'm wondering what other folks are experiencing issues with them?

I have tried Hollister, Coloplast, and other Convatec products. Any recommendations in the meantime for an (active) 33-year-old that loves Convatecs flanges but hates their current pouch line?

Thanks in advance.
sabresfan18

Re: Decline in Convatec's Products and Service

Post by sabresfan18 »

To clarify (sorry): the product they sent me *leaks* smells, they don't physically smell.

Sorry for the possible confusion.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Thanks for joining our Discussion Board. I am so sorry to learn of your unpleasant experience with ConvaTec. To date myself, I started with their products back in the late '70s & have used them ever since. Yes, my pouches also were discontinued recently & although I am still using the last of my old ones (which I have been washing out to reuse), they kindly sent me samples of the new which I have tried. I did relent & ordered them recently, finding there are only half as many in a box as before.
I have read other posts expressing dissatisfaction with this newer version. Which reminds me very much of 2010 when I was preparing for a trip out of state & first began using the ConvaTec Natura line. They seemed so very thin & light, I started my trip to Cape May with extreme trepidation. (I had just purchased a little Acer pc & joined the UOAA Discussion Board.) My solo voyage, so to speak. 'Am happy to say that all went well & I look back with fondness of my learning experience.
Hopefully, you will be able to adapt to these latest pouches or find something more similar to the discontinued style from another source.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Mara

Post by Mara »

I use the Convatec Natura 12" pouch with a plain spout - as against velcro - and no filter - it's No. 401934. I have been using it for years - not sure how long as I started with Convatec back when they were Squibb. They have definitely declined over the years - the fabric seems different - it can be noisy - and there is a very light weight mesh down the back side which when first introduced immediately ripped but it doesn't anymore. I am not really satisfied but as long as they don't discontinue it I guess I will hang in with it.

When my local ostomy group in NYC used to have a meeting with a number of manufacturers - whenever I tried something new it never worked for me. So fingers crossed....

Sorry no idea other than keep trying different pouches that work with your flange and hopefully something will work for you!! Best of luck!!
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
kennyk

Post by kennyk »

My pouch that I have been using for 9 years was discontinued too. The replacement one is terrible, very hard to open the drain and is made partially of a cloth "pocket and the material comes off on your hands after a few days. Still using the rest of the old ones and thanks for the tip about washing those out. I contacted a nurse at Convatec first who was very nice and said that " many many people complained about the same issues"- she said she sent all complaints and requests to bring back the old pouch to Quality control but had no idea if Convatec would respond to the customers. I contacted Convatec headquarters oversees, plus Media Services/ no reply whatsoever. OSA gave me the name of their contact at Convatec, again very nice but basically could do nothing. I wish we had someone to stand behind us and put some pressure on Convatec to listen to the customer ! They advertise that customer needs are the priority( right). Maybe OSA has some pull- I need a place where I can look over other companies products and choose a new pouch, Convatec has been disappointing in regards to helping us !
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

The first box of the new pouches I received had some smelly leakage AND sometimes came a little loose from the flange, but the 2nd and 3rd boxes haven't had those issues.
I suspect there was a bad batch. *One* pouch from a newer box was missing the velcro flap to seal it. I could have used a clip, but I hate clips, so I tossed it.

I still have some old style pouches left, but I like the new ones because they're a little shorter and don't poke me in the leg.

I rinse out my pouch every night and hang it to dry, so I have two pouches going at a time. They each last 4-5 wearings before the filters stop working.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Mara

Post by Mara »

It might be helpful if we included the product number so others would know if there was an issue with the same item....
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
kennyk

Post by kennyk »

Mara. The good pouch that is discontinued by convatec is 413334. Poor here is o Convatec has had many requests to bring it back but doesn't care/ listen to the customer like they advertise. Dealing with an ostomy is tough but convatec by discontinuing this pouch has made it tougher
The many people who have asked convatec by convatec s own admittance not to discontinue this pouch need an advocate and there are none
ron in mich.

Post by ron in mich. »

Hi all i,ve been using convatec for 30 some years pouch 401503 and wafer 401576 and i find the wafer is so thin that i no longer can go for 3 full days and change the morning of the fourth day. four yrs. ago i had resection surgery and they use hollister products which barely lasted 2 days especially after surgery when output is more on the liquid side so i know i wont switch to them if i change products.
To Dream a Dream

The pouch I was using was #413334. Ron, being a longtime member like yourself, I went from Stomahesive sheets I had to cut myself that lasted two days max (even with a built-up layer of skin prep) to cutouts from Eakin seals that also had to be adapted & often leaked. My pouches were originally of a heavy (often smelly) United style with a Bead-O closure to secure them in place (Right!) And the tailclip had two little rubber bands that were frequently either being stretched out or lost. ConvaTec's (initially a subdivision of Squibb) first line were not just a true innovation in ostomy management for both staff & patient, but a major improvement in skin care with their pop-on pop-off design imbedded within the protective wafer. Which all major manufacturers, I note, have replicated ever since. And yes, after years of rigid opaque pouches, the new ones seemed incredibly flimsy at first.
The Natura Durahesive moldables were a Godsend for me. Although by then I had had a stoma revision which certainly helped anatomically. Ron, I have seen improvement in my own wear time by using a Sensi Care sting-free Skin barrier wipe prior to applying the wafer. And a filmy Sure Seal Ring to cover it. (I order both thru Parthenon, Inc.) Admittedly, both products are a bit tricky for my aging dexterity to manage at times, but I find, well worth the effort.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

My old pouches were 411310 and new ones are 416417.
It sounds like they replaced several pouch styles.
Lee

I am not my disease.
To Dream a Dream

viewtopic.php?t=27354
As I have mentioned before, I am not the best at computer skills. Especially links. The above is, I hope, one to a previous post that includes a handy table by our Webmaster of ConvaTec pouch info pertinent to this current post. I'll post this now & try my link to see if it worked. If not, if you search our Webmaster's posts, you may find it.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
To Dream a Dream

viewtopic.php?p=228524#p228524
All right, folks. That link worked for me, but you have to scroll down a bit to find Bob's table. Hopefully, the above link will take you right to it.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
To Dream a Dream

Okay, that link above took me right to the table & I hope it helps you folks, too.
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Snowgoose

Post by Snowgoose »

Mentioned above is Convatec's Sensi-Care Sting Free Barrier Wipes. I have tried many wipes and all are good, but I find the Sensi-Cares are the best for skin repair and enhancing adhesion.