Blockage and ER visit

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
rbennatti

Blockage and ER visit

Post by rbennatti »

Very early Saturday morning, I was experiencing severe abdominal pain. Was trying a number of remedies/exercises to no avail. Nothing was coming out My wife was away visiting her sister in MA for a month so I was on my own. I was afraid of a rupture so I drove the 35 minutes to the hospital ER. Got there and proceeded to wait... Did drink the red solution to prep for a CT Scan. The scan did see a blockage and a slight hernia. Things did slowly start flowing. Not sure why there was a blockage...my diet is quite conservative. Ate a few crackers with water with no problems and decided not to stay overnight. Since I've been home..the output has been very watery with a lot of gas. Not sleeping well due to fears of overfilling the bag with gas et al. My normal predictable lull times are fewer and less predictable. My wife returned later Saturday. As of today, there is less gas, and less abdominal pain, thankfully. Did take some chewable Gas X yesterday. I have a follow-up meeting with a surgeon on Thursday to discuss the CT scan et al. Stay tuned
To Dream a Dream

Re: Blockage and ER visit

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Had a similar experience last fall without my going to the ER but had a CT a week later with no sign of blockage at that point (had gone on NPO to Cl Liq to Full Liq). Did reveal a small hiatal hernia. I suspect that when our guts are angry, they can over-react to any small disturbance. Hopefully, your surgical appt. will show favorable results. Thanks for your post.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
rbennatti

Post by rbennatti »

Thanks so much! Well...it was emergency surgery,,,,the colon ruptured while they were scanning it back in January....hopefully they put everything back more or less where it should be! (except for the colon of course)
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I had a few similar experiences due to scar tissue. After being hospitalized twice (the first time for a whole week, I think because they forgot me), and spending long enough (4 hours) in the ER waiting room a third time for things to clear up on their own, I learned that drinking water and moving around can help clear the problem.

I eventually had surgery to remove the scar tissue, and haven't had a blockage since.
Lee

I am not my disease.
tlippy

Post by tlippy »

Twice in 15 years I've had a blockage. One cleared up on the way to Emergency when I vomited and the other cleared while waiting to get admitted to Emergency. I used to watch my diet, ie: No popcorn, no corn on the cob + all the other recommended No-No foods. My theory: When my colon got removed, that left a big void in my belly. Guts now have room to get tangled. Anyway I no longer restrict my diet. Corn On The Cob is wonderful ! So is pop-corn. No blockages for 6 years and and I'm eating all foods. Just a thought
Ileo/April 2007
rbennatti

Post by rbennatti »

steiconi wrote: 2022-07-20 00:47:29 I had a few similar experiences due to scar tissue. After being hospitalized twice (the first time for a whole week, I think because they forgot me), and spending long enough (4 hours) in the ER waiting room a third time for things to clear up on their own, I learned that drinking water and moving around can help clear the problem.

I eventually had surgery to remove the scar tissue, and haven't had a blockage since.
Thanks so much for the suggestions
rbennatti

Post by rbennatti »

Wow...that's really great!!!