Rectal Pressure after colostomy

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Katiescarlett

Rectal Pressure after colostomy

Post by Katiescarlett »

Did anyone experience rectal pressure after getting an ostomy?
I'm having trouble with this, even after I push out small amount of mucus from rectum.
It is very uncomfortable. My Dr. says go to the ER.
I also get uncomfortable pain in lower abdomen.
I am 5 weeks post surgery of a colostomy.
Psz

Re: Rectal Pressure after colostomy

Post by Psz »

I am 7 weeks post op colostomy and have the same issues at about 5 weeks. It's settling down though. I don't think there's anything to go to the ER about. It appears to be common. The pain, for me, only lasts several minutes, thankfully.
Katiescarlett

Post by Katiescarlett »

Thank you for your reply. I'm now 7 weeks out and now have mucus sometimes 2x a day. It's not getting better, I thought it would start drying up. Do you have mucus? If so, how often?
I also have a prolapsed hemorrhoid that comes out after squeezing mucus out.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Hello & Welcome to our Discussion Board. I had the initial ostomy surgery back in August 1977 (Crohn's disease) after two major bowel resections in the 1960s, leaving me with an ileo, abdominal mucus fistula & a severely shortened tract. I do remember experiencing similar symptoms, but due to recurrent GI bleeding with severe anemia, I had another surgical procedure in November 1977 that removed the remaining large bowel, rectum & anus. Fortunately, the incision closed well & although I did experience some phantom feelings in the general area for some time afterwards, they dissipated over the years.
That was all a long time ago, & realizing that medical treatments have improved over then, please continue to post here. Perhaps, someone with more recent experience will respond.
Again, thanks for joining us.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Katiescarlett

Post by Katiescarlett »

Thank you for your kind reply.