Coloplast Bag Flattening my Poop

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
sharon888

Coloplast Bag Flattening my Poop

Post by sharon888 »

Newcomer here. I woke up with a colostomy after having a perforated colon and emergency surgery in April. I was in the hospital for a month and then a skilled nursing facility for a month after that. When I was in the skilled nursing facility they used Convatec bags (Esteem+ 416915). My poop was coming out fully formed and would drop to the bottom of the bag. They gave me Coloplast bags (Assura 13860) when I came home and these bags since to have much less room vertically inside the bag. My poop is flattened as it comes out of the stoma and doesn't drop at all making it much harder to empty the bag. What are the best bags for fully formed stool?

Thanks in advance.
steiconi

Re: Coloplast Bag Flattening my Poop

Post by steiconi »

That's called pancaking. I can't recommend a pouch, but you might find some help by searching the forum for pancaking.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Mara

Post by Mara »

Why don't you go back to the Convatec pouches that worked for you? Does your supplier not carry them?
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Like Mara said use what works. Also you said you have a colostomy and fully formed stool, you might want to consider irrigation.
sharon888

Post by sharon888 »

Thanks for all the tips. I am off to do more research.
ThatFLguy

Post by ThatFLguy »

Two things that I use that help with that is Coloplast Brava Lubricating Deodorant for Ostomy Pouches and an ostomy spray bottle that I got from Amazon. The spray bottle helps during bag emptying very well. There are a lot of little things that make life better. Hope this helps.
I fart in your general direction!