Are leaks/blowouts simply inevitable?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
pete19382

Are leaks/blowouts simply inevitable?

Post by pete19382 »

Howdy folks,

Another relative newbie question - are occasional leaks/blowouts simply inevitable? My wife has had her stoma (ileostomy) for about 8 months now, and though she is very careful about what she eats and how she applies her appliance, I think her record for duration without a leak or worse is about three and a half weeks. She probably averages one every ten days or so. Is that simply the new reality, or should we expect things to get better with time/experience?

Thanks
Pete
Mara

Re: Are leaks/blowouts simply inevitable?

Post by Mara »

I have had my ileostomy for decades and for some reason which I do not remember at this particular moment I started to keep track of when I change my appliance and when I get leaks starting a few years ago.

So this year I have had one leak. In 2021 I had 10. In 2020 15. In 2019 3. In 2018 6. In 2017 3, In 2016 8 In 2015 8.

Also I usually change once a week or sometimes every six days depending on my schedule.

One every ten days does seem a bit too frequent to me but she is pretty much a new person with an ostomy so I would think things could improve.
Hope that helps!
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

A lot of things can impact wear time of a flange.... Movement, fit, heat, sweating, output, etc., etc.... As she gets more familiar with her appliance, she'll probably get to the point where she can recognize when a flange is on its last legs or is about to be breached. I like to change my flange once a week, but sometimes it doesn't last that long and I have to change earlier. Sometimes it will last longer, but I stick to the week schedule just so I can get a look at my skin once in a while and make sure it is ok. Even after 13 years of having this thing, "code browns" happen! Hope that helps some.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

Inevitable . Yes
Just don't get angry and change.
Doing pretty good in a short time....
I had a leak two weeks ago.
Don't know why. But figured I'd bent over to far that one time to pick something up.
Just happens.
There are foods that will cause mine to leak.
Potatoes.
Cheese . Anything thick and slow. So I go easy on those.
Anyhoo. After awhile. Or even now. For her . Changing gets easier and faster . Si I personally think it's no biggie.
I change once a week anyway.. All I need it to do is last 7 days.
Leaks they are gonna happen. Nothing is perfect. But it's usually my own fault.
I didn't follow my routine thoroughly.
Your doing well. 10 months in. I changed every 4 days . Didn't trust it. But I was working.
I didn't want a leak at work. And never did . I had a very physical job. Worked outside in the heat
Good luck.
Richard
P. S.
May I ask in the 3 1/2 weeks is she wearing the same appliance?
Is she not changing everything sometime in between?
pete19382

Post by pete19382 »

Thanks folks.

She changes the appliance every 3 or 4 days when she takes a shower (she finds that if the flange gets wet, her skin gets irritated.)
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

I have the same problem. When taking a shower.
My solution.
Cling Wrap.
Hy-Tape.
I cover it. Hy-Tape is water proof.

Just a suggestion.
Richard
pete19382

Post by pete19382 »

Thanks Richard - I’ve ordered some Hy-tape and we’ll see how that goes!
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

pete19382 wrote: 2022-08-13 09:44:08 Thanks Richard - I’ve ordered some Hy-tape and we’ll see how that goes!
Just a few tips....
It works. Sometimes it leaks. Have to limit movements in the shower.
But if you see the water has gotten thru. If I see it has I finish and get out. Lol.
Also make sure it's cling wrap by Glad. Plastic wrap doesn't work as well.
Hy tape is or has gotten expensive.
You don't have to tape the bottom.. I just tape along the top first. Roll up the bottom to my appliance and tape the sides.
Good luck.
Richard.
P. S.
Fold the bag in half. Emptied of course. Before putting the wrap on. I fold it and tape it
To the top of the appliance onto my skin. That makes Tha area to tape smaller.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I guess I've been lucky. In 16 years I can count on one hand the number of leaks and I remember each one. I use and believe in clips, so if the clips starts to wear down after a few months and I don't replace it, then a simple wrong move can open it up oh and diving in a pool! So, it's usually my fault.

I'm fairly active, I play golf and tennis a few times a week and occassionaly ski in the winter - all of those involved bending over and lots of movement - no issues. If I've just done a change the same day the tail of the pouch can be 'slippery' so sometimes I'll double clip for piece of mind but this is for my own comfort level - it's never been needed.

I change my Hollister appliance every 5-6 days.
rickmurtagh

Post by rickmurtagh »

I too have been lucky and after more than a dozen years I can count on one hand the number of leaks I have had (if I count by 100s). I would LOVE to have an appliance last more than 4 days - hardly ever happens - three days is normal. I am happy with the life I have leaks and all. I am a little less happy with the blockages I seem to be having with a little more frequency, but hey, I have 3 kids, all good, all healthy, 14 gkids, all good, all healthy and my wife is dealing okay with me after more than 40 years and she is healthy. Life is very good...
Ileo, colectomy 06/09
Takedown 04/10
Sacral infect. 03/11
Perm ileo 04/11
pete19382

Post by pete19382 »

Kevin - only a handful of leaks in 16+ years, and it sounds like none of those were leaks around the wafer. What's your secret?!?

Rick - 14 gkids! Your place must be a hopping joint around the holidays and such! Enjoy!

Any other folks have secrets to success to share?

Pete
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I use a two piece pouching from Hollister. Issues have either been the clip slipping off a couple of times. Likely the clip was getting worn down and I should have changed it after a few months OR the flange separating from the pouch (this has only happened twice) when I was bending down and maybe the tail got caught so when I stood up pulled on it - that's my assumption.
I use a Coloplast ring around my stoma and then apply the flange. So tbh I'm not sure why people are getting leaks around the wafer...