How to smooth inner edge of Hollister 14802 wafer/barrier?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Emma

How to smooth inner edge of Hollister 14802 wafer/barrier?

Post by Emma »

I am the caregiver for someone in my family who has a recent ileostomy.

He would like to try the Hollister Flex Tend 14802 wafer/barrier, which requires cutting the hole for the stoma. That newly cut edge is sharp. (The other wafer/barriers he has tried have started to dissolve in less than one day, so we need a non-eroding wafer/barrier.)

If you use or have used the Hollister Flex Tend wafer/barrier, could you please post what you have done to smooth that cut edge?

Thank you very much. :)
NEskier

Re: How to smooth inner edge of Hollister 14802 wafer/barrier?

Post by NEskier »

I have never used Hollister products but suspect they are similar to some of the Convatec ones I use. MANY years ago the first (and only!) WOC nurse told me to use a finger to smooth the edges of the circle I cut. So I draw the shape I want, cut it with little curved scissors and then, from the barrier side, run my finger over the edge until it is more rounded. About two times around for me.

Hope that helps for now. I hope your brother can take over care for his ostomy.
Emma

Post by Emma »

@NEskier Thanks very much for your post. I appreciate your kindness.

The inside of this particular barrier is sharp when cut. The Flex Tend is stiffer barrier than than the Form Flex and so, when the hole for the stoma is cut to size, the edges are sharp, and cannot be smoothed with the finger.
Snowgoose

Post by Snowgoose »

I've been using Hollister's Flextend wafers for 10-11 years and cut them with curved scissors. The cut edge has never been a problem, never viewed it as being "sharp edged". This last year I have been ordering them pre-cut, a great time saver.

Not sure why you say the cut edge is sharp as it's a flexible material, no way it could cut anything. If it's causing a problem maybe you are not cutting the hole large enough. It should not be touching the stoma, I believe they recommend 1/8" clearance, not sure.
Emma

Post by Emma »

@Snowgoose Thank you very much for time the time to post. I appreciate your help. :)
Smpauley

Post by Smpauley »

I’ve been using the harder Convex Sensura Mio by Coloplast and these are the harder flanges I would assume like the ones your talking about. After I cut my circle out I use a Bic Lighter and just for a second or two a very quick pass on the edge then press with my finger and I do this all the way around it until it feels smooth. Be careful not to melt it though as it will make the part that you have to peel off melt onto it too much to remove it when your done and also it could melt onto your finger and burn you.. Just very quickly then press! Good luck! Hope this works for you…
Emma

Post by Emma »

@Smpauley Thanks very much for your post. I appreciate your help. I was wondering if anyone took a match to the edges. :)
Smpauley

Post by Smpauley »

It’s a Bic but close enough…Call me the Fireman! Hahaha 🤣 😂