Very dry skin

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
DaveG

Very dry skin

Post by DaveG »

I've had an ileostomy for 10yrs. The skin around it is very red. I use flange extenders and the skin where these go is worse.
I'm now using belly bands to help keep the pouch on instead of the extenders, which is giving my skin a break. But the skin is very dry and no matter what I try the redness is always there.
Does anyone know of any creams etc to use? I was told calomine lotion but its so hard to apply decently without affecting the pouch. I've tried sudocream, e45 as well.

Thank you
Emma

Re: Very dry skin

Post by Emma »

Dave, I am sorry this has happened to you. I have been trying to think of things that might help.

You have probably tried barrier rings such as Eakin Cohesive or Hollister Adapt Cera. And the barrier sprays and wipes.

Is the skin only red where adhesive touches it?

Does your skin which is not near the stoma heal up quickly when you have a scratch or a cut? Do you have dry skin anywhere else, dry skin in general?

I was thinking about taking Vitamin E, mixed tocopherols, and also if you have enough fats in your diet, esp. EFAs.

Hopefully, someone will post soon with help for you.

I am sending you good thoughts. :)
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Hi Emma my skin is fine otherwise and yes it's just where the adhesive sticks. Yes I use the adhesive spray too.

Do the barrier rings cover the whole area where the pouch sticks to the skin?
ileo73

Post by ileo73 »

I started using Aquaphor when I take the ostomy off before going into the shower. My wife had me use it for cracked hands and I thought it might help the skin. Did very nicely. I rub it in and then I wash the excess off in the shower. Skin is pinker and the adhesive is actually sticking better!
fapope

Post by fapope »

I experienced similar issues and solved the problem with the following procedure. I showered without the bag. I then lightly dabbed the area with Calamine Lotion and dried this with a hair drier. The answer to your issue may be to use the hair drier. One: to dry the skin after washing. Two: dry the Calamine thoroughly after applying to your skin. Lastly: use the hair drier to warm the appliance/adhesive before applying to get better adhesion.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Have you tried a tapeless flange. over time I developed an allergy to the flange with tape that I was using.