Visually impaired ostomate

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
arlie

Visually impaired ostomate

Post by arlie »

It's been ages since I posted but I have some new challenges. I have had a well behaved ileostomy for 20 years but have recently had a stroke . I am recovering well but have been left with a severe vision defect. Does anyone here have experience? I currently use a 2-piece moldable but wonder if a 1-piece would be easier. Maybe a pre-cut i-piece? I am struggling to line things up. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

arlie
To Dream a Dream

Re: Visually impaired ostomate

Post by To Dream a Dream »

I am so sorry to learn of your current challenges. Years ago I remember little white strips of paper that could be curled up & positioned within the opening in a wafer to aid in guiding it to placement. This is going back a long long time, but your wafer manufacturer may have more information. The folks at Parthenon may be able to help. They have been in business for many years.
Please keep checking back with our Board for other input.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

Arlie, have you sought out an occupational therapist in your area. They could evaluate your current visual and motor skills and help you develop a plan for getting your appliance on as independently as possible. Folks who suffer strokes can end up with vision field cuts depending on where the stroke occurred in the brain. Or it can lead to some hemianopsia....Again, an occupational therapist could assess your skills and get you some ideas on applying your equipment now. I am an OT, but I would need to know your exact diagnosis and evaluate you in order to give you tips that would be specific to your deficits, and then work out a trial and error session to see what does and doesn't work for you.
Hope that helps some.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
arlie

Post by arlie »

OMG - )T Dave! I forgot that the OT stands for Occupational Therapist! The answer to my prayers - an OT with an ostomy!!
You are correct I have a homonomous sectoranopia, left side, so visual defect upper & lower quadrants with sparing in the middle. I am managing with some changes to my routine. I use a moldable to eliminate the need for centering an Eakin. I am having difficulty examining my skin but have a mirror thing going to help. Lining things up is tricky as I struggle to get things in my field of vision when looking down. I tuck bits of Eakin in the dips of my skin by feel mostly. I used to use Opsite tape to hold things down but that is really difficult now. I have had rehab with an OT but mostly for reading, computer & navigation skills. I am in Canada & ostomy nurses are in short supply where I live. I have been dealing with a rep frpm Convatec who is enormously helpful. Any suggestions would be sooo helpful. Many thanks for your reply.
Cheers,
arlie
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

Since you have an OT, I would definitely recommend asking them to add some goals for ostomy management to your care plan. Being with you one on one will be immensely helpful.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2