Choices in barrier/wafer hole cutters?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Emma

Choices in barrier/wafer hole cutters?

Post by Emma »

I am looking for choices in hole cutters for the barrier/wafers.

So far, online, I have seen the Nu-Hope, and there is a metal one at Parthenon that does not come in the size we need.

Are there any other manufacturers?

Or another way to cut the hole besides scissors which leaves a safe edge?

Thank you very much.
Mara

Re: Choices in barrier/wafer hole cutters?

Post by Mara »

My wafers are pre-cut by the manufacturer - Convatec.....

Do you need some non-standard size??
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

Emma, sorry for a minor thread hijack: @Mara - I always wondered, are they cut AT Convatec or at what ever supplier you use? I cut my own (although the crappy arthritic fingers are making this a PIA) and am sort of in between 7/8 - 1 inch. Once I got a box by mistake that had been cut and all the individual packages were open. Is that what you get?

Emma, I know Convatec and probably others has a flange that can be rolled back and shaped by hand rather than cutting each one. Might solve the sharp edge issue you are having.
Mara

Post by Mara »

Hi NEskier - I assume they are cut at Convatec as the individual packages are sealed as is the box of ten.....though, back a few decades I think they did come opened but that was a long, long time ago. Would not want any that are opened.....for sure!!

I actually had a carton from the supplier arrive ripped open a while back, and had them replace almost everything since some boxes were crushed and partially open.

Sorry, Emma....as well for the hijack..
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
Emma

Post by Emma »

Hi, NESkier and Mara, thanks very much for your posts. I appreciate your help.

Current brand in use is Hollister, and as far as I can tell, their FormaFlex barrier/wafer that so nicely rolls back, does not come in an extended-wear model. I agree with you, a roll-back in the durable model would be preferable.

We tried the Hollister New Image Cera Plus Skin Barrier Tape (do not know why it is named "tape").
We got some samples of cut-to-fit, and liked the durability. Hence, the question about a hole cutter.

Today, some pre-cut versions of the Cera Plus Barrier arrived, so we will be trying out those.

I just want to have "all the bases covered" in case the medical supplier we are using does not have something in stock, or for any reason we cannot get what is needed.
sandys

Post by sandys »

I use a Convatec Durahesive convex barrier and get it 1/8 inch larger than my stoma. I apply a Stomahesive disc to the barrier with much finger pressure and mold the inside diameter to fit my stoma. I usually get six or seven days of wear on the disc.

I use a variety of pouches. I like the plain plastic pouch that requires a clamp but in hot weather it can cause too much sweat. I also like the newest pouch that has a soft fiber-like cover over the plastic and has the best yet Velcro closure.

In the old days I used a pair of curved fingernail scissors to cut the hole to the right size.
Sandy in Indiana

Ileostomy 1963 age almost 21
Remaining colon and rectum removed 1964
Fairly healthy ever since
Emma

Post by Emma »

@sandys Thank you for your post detailing your set-up. That helps a great deal. I like your fingernail scissors solution.

I keep reading of people using Convatec supplies here, -- will have to get some more samples now that we know more what we need.
Snowgoose

Post by Snowgoose »

I use Hollister New Image Flextend Skin Barriers and recently changed to having them precut. I order from Byram who does the precutting so the barrier packages come opened. Opened packages have not been a problem. In one order they were cut off center, and Byram quickly replaced them.
Emma

Post by Emma »

Snowgoose, thank you for your post. I appreciate it. Nice to here that Byram was good about replacing the barriers.