Change brands

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
steiconi

Change brands

Post by steiconi »

I've been using convatec for quite a while, but the new pouches are junk. Makes me think the wafers will soon be unreliable, too, so I guess it's time to find a new brand.

Does anybody else make something like the durahesive wafer? I like that it's flexible and stays stuck even on my flush/recessed stoma. I don't want to go back to thick, wodgy convex wafers...
Lee

I am not my disease.
sandys

Re: Change brands

Post by sandys »

I too have a flush stoma and use the Convatec Durahesive wafer plus an Eakin seal. I like the new pouches that have the cuff (which I cut off) but the old ones that use a clamp are fine as well.I’m on Medicare now and allowed 60 pouches every three months which seems generous, so I change every two or tree days.
Coloplast makes a sturdy pouch but their belt seemed too tricky for my old hands. I wish Convatec would make an extra large pouch for use at night but for some reason no one that I know does.
Sandy in Indiana

Ileostomy 1963 age almost 21
Remaining colon and rectum removed 1964
Fairly healthy ever since
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Thanks for mentioning the pouch limit; my provider just sent more than I ordered, but within the limit, so I guess I'm fine.
Lee

I am not my disease.
BillGK

Post by BillGK »

I don’t know anything about convex wafers. But I have used a Convatec wafer with the adhesive coupling for years, and there has been no change in quality and no problems. I love the security of the adhesive coupling in comparison to snap systems.

I do not use a Convatec pouch. I use a Coloplast Mio drainable pouch with adhesive coupling, and the physical security is just about a perfect as can be.

If Convatec makes a convex wafer with adhesive coupling you might try a sample. And you could use any Coloplast pouch that has adhesive coupling. (You cannot go the other way, incidentally - Coloplast wafer and Convatec pouch - as they will not stick together).

And hey, if you are still in Tucson and are on original Medicare, you might call Desert Providers in Coolidge, not that far from you. They accept assignment on durable medical equipment - a rarity. I used to get my supplies from the Mayo Clinic Store. Desert Providers is waaay better.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I don't need convex (though convatec does make durahesive convex wafers, in case anybody needs to know that)

I'm not familiar with adhesive coupling, but googled. Looks like you seal the pouch permanently to the wafer, and can't take them apart?

I guess you have to call Desert Providers; their website doesn't seem to have any products on it.
Lee

I am not my disease.
BillGK

Post by BillGK »

Adhesive coupling is so nice. Virtually never a leak, much thinner/flatter than snap systems. The coupling has been tested for, like ten or so, apply-remove-reapply open/close operations - so easy to burp. But if you wash your pouch I’m not sure if the handling would mess up the adhesive.

Desert Providers is a very small company. If you call you will get Patti, the owner, or MIchelle or Latisha. All are highly competent and offer personalized service. They call me every month, like clockwork, and take my order, and two days later it arrives at my door, never once a mistake in all the years I’ve done business there. It used to be a 2 month cycle, but last year Medicare apparently got even more fussy about durable medical equipment orders and now it is a monthly thing, I don’t know why, I just do the process. They take Medicare assignment, so they can’t be making hardly anything. Now they are paying postage every month rather than every other month. Don’t know how they do it. Good people.
ileo73

Post by ileo73 »

I had to switch from Convatec years ago because the Tupperware ring was giving my skin grief.

I found that the Hollister Soft Convex (I use 87611 cut to fit) worked great for me. It's the only one-piece that holds.
Chelly

Post by Chelly »

I’m in the process now of changing from convatec. For me the durahesive was a sticky, waxy, mess. I love their active life series but I need convexity and they only make that in durahesive. They do have a convex pouch with soft convex in the stomahesive that I and my skin love but the edges start pulling up on me. Sad, sad because I love my convatec active life’s.
Hollister does make some strong extended wear pouches too but unfortunately anything that strong for me turns waxy , melts and sticky. Keep in mind I do sweat easily especially with humidity and I rinse so that could be a huge factor as these types of adhesives absorb water and moisture. If they get too much they turn to goo.

Such a sad time for me. I always loved stomahesive. I wish they made the active life convex with that as well.
Anyhow I’m now trying out Coloplast products. They have pouches with options of adhesives as well. I heard by someone that the sensura extended wear is very strong and aggressive like that. I’m currently trying out the sensura standard light convex and some of the sensura mio that my nurse gave me. I’m liking them both so far but time will tell. So far they are staying on me. It’s really strange though because I’ve been in the convatec for years now and even emptying is different. No more clip but a Velcro. I never minded the clip but it’s all different now.
You can call the different companies and they will send samples. Just explain what you’re looking for. This is the process I currently had to do.
Chelly

Post by Chelly »

sandys wrote: 2022-10-05 09:20:38 I too have a flush stoma and use the Convatec Durahesive wafer plus an Eakin seal. I like the new pouches that have the cuff (which I cut off) but the old ones that use a clamp are fine as well.I’m on Medicare now and allowed 60 pouches every three months which seems generous, so I change every two or tree days.
Coloplast makes a sturdy pouch but their belt seemed too tricky for my old hands. I wish Convatec would make an extra large pouch for use at night but for some reason no one that I know does.
Coloplast does make high output pouches. I wonder if you could use those for night only. The hospital gave me one to go home with once and I used it and has a nice spout. But it was for ileostomy.
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

My 2 cents. Ain't much.
When I was in the beginning of this the hospital had Coloplast.
I found the wafers to be stiff. Of course just starting anything was weird there.
But I went to convetec and have been using them since. I like the wafers and bag.
Two peice system. Can't use a one peice. I'd have to see where I center it.
I use the wafer with white tape. If that means anything to you.
It gives me warning of a leak as I can see it on the tape way before it gets bad.
As soon as I see it under the white tape I change. It won't get better.
Anyhoo. I haven't had any problems with the system I use.
The only thing I didn't like is when they extended the length where you fold it up to velcro it.
Other than that I usually get 7 days out of a change. Of course there are times when I do get a leak.
I consider myself fortunate. I just don't understand all the fuss over changes I can't even notice. Except what I mentioned above.
But I guess I can understand everyone has different experiences with different products.
And definitely have to find one that's right for yourself.
As for myself I'm not gonna charge something that works. For me anyways.
This is not meant to offend anyone. And I hope I haven't.
Richard.
Mara

Post by Mara »

I have also been using Convatec for decades basically. There was a period when my stoma got flatter and I wasn't ready for a revision. I used the regular Stomahesive faceplates like I do now and they had a white plastic ring that could be inserted to make them convex - do they no longer have that? It worked for me for quite a long time.....
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Mara: I remember the rings & used them until I had a stoma revision in 1985. If I am not mistaken, ConvaTec upgraded to a Durahesive wafer with convexity that I have since recommended to friends with similar problems.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Mara

Post by Mara »

TDaD - I'm sure your memory is better than mine...lol....I do know that I never used Durahesive but I vaguely remember a wafer that was convex back a couple of decades ago....
Chelly

Post by Chelly »

I’m so happy for those of you that the changes did not affect. I wish that could be the same for me. I kind of feel lost. I never thought I’d be wearing anything but a convatec activelife. I agree about the tape boarder for the person who mentioned that. It was a savior for leaks!
I did try the flat pouches with the rings but it was not convex enough and also my stoma nurse does not feel it will work out because my stoma is dipping sideways kind of. My stoma went flat after hernia surgery and now one hernia is back but not to the point it was before surgery.
Mara

Post by Mara »

@Chelly - I saw a company that has Convatec ActiveLife one piece convex Stomahesive - is that what you used to get?