Context - Metamucil plus Gavilax?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ileo73

Context - Metamucil plus Gavilax?

Post by ileo73 »

My aunt just called. I’ve had an ostomy since 1973 and her since 1993 so she often asks me for advice

I don’t mind but this latest call had me scratching my head so I thought I’d check with the forum

She’s had bad diarrhea, bad enough she had a week or so in hospital recently. I thought they had it under some kind of control with meds but she called me earlier today, very upset that she was getting two laxatives, Gavilax and Metamucil. I wasn’t quite sure how to advise her though it sounded to me like her current doctor doesn’t quite understand ostomies, and I told her as much.

Has anyone here been in a situation where they needed both those laxatives?
Mara

Re: Context - Metamucil plus Gavilax?

Post by Mara »

It sounds odd to me - I have never taken a laxative in my life....as far as I know....lol....And with diarrhea - don't understand at all. Then again she has had her surgery for well over twenty years....is it a new doctor?
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
ileo73

Post by ileo73 »

It is in fact a doctor of about my aunt’s vintage and she’s 80.

That’s one of the reasons she’s interested in a new doctor.
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

I have an ileostomy and exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. With both of these, I have quite a bit of output -- often watery. My GI doctor and surgeon suggested I take a SMALL amount of Benefiber to thicken the output. I also use Imodium or sometimes a stronger prescription med to slow down the flow. And I wear high-output pouches.

I hope by now that your aunt is much better.
Diane C
2000 MACE
2002 Colostomy
2018 Above + anus removed; Ileostomy
2020 Scar tissue removed
ileo73

Post by ileo73 »

Thanks, Diane, but it’s gotten crazier.

She hadn’t told me she had a hernia that was large and getting larger. So now she has a wet stoma requiring multiple changes.

She’s also 76 with some cognitive and dexterity issues…sigh.