Where is everyone? Anyone out there with parastomal hernia repair experience?

A forum devoted to "Irrigation" - a procedure that may be helpful for some people with left-sided colostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Mikem

Where is everyone? Anyone out there with parastomal hernia repair experience?

Post by Mikem »

Hope all is well with everyone.

I know I have not been a regular lately but no posts for months seems discouraging. Has everyone moved to a new chat forum? If so where? I drifted away after the Virtual parties ended.

Wanted to know if anyone has experience with parastomal hernia repair with mesh? About 5 years ago I notice unusual bulging and soon realized it was a parastomal hernia. I was able to work it back in and it stayed. For awhile. It has been increasingly annoying and occasionally seems to be problematic with irrigation. The plan is not to relocate it but just fix it to the abdominal wall (on the inside) laparoscopically with mesh. Wanted to check if anyone has done this and if it created any long term issues?

MikeM
Colostomy, A/P Feb 2006 for Stage 1 CRC
ot dave

Re: Where is everyone? Anyone out there with parastomal hernia repair experience?

Post by ot dave »

Hey Mike!

Good to see you! I had a repair done in 2016 and it lasted about 6-9 months before reappearing and having the bonus of a separate hernia. We didn't move the stoma....that time. Last month, I had the hernia repaired and the stoma moved. Kept the stoma on the left side, just moved it further up the abdomen. It was originally lower than my belly button. Now, it's about 3" above the belly button. Still waiting on healing before resuming irrigation. I was told 8 weeks, it's been 6. I like the new placement. I can see it easier, it's easier to manage/care for, and I think that gravity (I'm bigger than I need to be) won't pull down on it anymore because it is in the center of my core and not at the bottom. I think the excess weight played a part in creating the hernia because of where it was located. We'll see! That said, if feels like recovery from moving the stoma as opposed to just the repair that I had in 2016 is taking longer than I remember. Of course, there was more cutting this time and 2 incisions instead of one....and the fact that I'm half a century old now may be slowing the healing process as well. That said, my repairs were open, and not laproscopic. You could/should expect less discomfort and quicker healing time with a laproscopic procedure.

It's good to see you.
David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
steiconi

Re: Where is everyone? Anyone out there with parastomal hernia repair experience?

Post by steiconi »

It's been so quiet here, I've been wondering if everyone went to a new site and didn't invite me.

I had mesh repair for my first hernia. It worked quite well, but had to be removed in a later surgery for something else--if any part of it is exposed to air, it all must be completely removed. Added hours to the surgery, and they didn't replace the mesh after. Of course the hernia returned, was repaired again without mesh, returned again...
Lee

I am not my disease.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

People may be using the General Discussion forum. Anyway, it is so good to see your posts.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
trixiemom

Post by trixiemom »

I just had my hernia repaired laparoscopic almost 2 weeks ago.. The Dr found 2 more neat the one he was repairing...the Dr did a great job...I would suggest that the Dr make sure that even though he may not actually do anything to your stoma make sure he understands that you still want it to stick out..mine is an innie after the surgery...I am hoping it will pop back out but I have to wait at least 6 weeks as I am still super swollen..also I suggest that you bring your own ostomy supplies...as they didn't put any protection under my wafer and my skin became raw after 2 days..I did get my skin back to almost normal ...take it slow after you heal wear a hernia belt....if you have anymore questions feel free to contact me .this is my second hernia repair..the first one was about 5 years ago...I had 3 Hernias then...
Ileo since 2012, christian ...no longer vegan went carnivore 2022...5 surgeries d 6 hernias
Zenobia

Post by Zenobia »

Hi, Mike (et. al.),

Geez, I've really been "away" a long time ... I am thrilled here just to see a few familiar names! I've been dealing with a prolapsed stoma in combination with a parastomal hernia in the wall behind it, but have been putting off any repair -- 4-5 years now -- because I can only recall nasty stories about gators dealing with the mesh part. Good grief, I'm 75 now and just not ready for more surgeries.

I hope you find some answers and a solution which goes well and smoothly for you. I'm going to try and check in more frequently ... my memory's not what it used to be either!

Hugs to Everyone,
Zenobia
Mikem

Post by Mikem »

Hi Zenobia, (et. al.)

Skipped the surgery for this year. Enough concerning comments about mesh to make me leery. Also since it really wasn't dangerous (yet) so I will just deal with it. The NuHope Ostomy hernia belt is really helpful with keeping everything inside.

Good to hear from folks hope all is well.

MikeM
Colostomy, A/P Feb 2006 for Stage 1 CRC
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I recently discovered an active reddit ostomy site. I wonder what else is out there.
Lee

I am not my disease.