Silver nitrate burn on stoma

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
CEE ESS

Silver nitrate burn on stoma

Post by CEE ESS »

I had a treatment by an NSWOC for granulomas around my stoma, and she left me some sticks to treat myself. I misunderstood her comment about moisture on the stick and thought she meant to moisten from the stoma itself. Duh! I cannot believe how dumb I can be sometimes. I was alarmed when the nice pink skin turned gray. Not a large spot, a couple of small ones, maybe quarter of an inch. I wiped right away with water, made the stoma bleed a bit. The spots seem smaller but still there. They do not block the opening of the stoma. The stoma did not turn black like the granuloma area.

Will this heal? It may be wishful thinking but the area seems smaller than it was. Anyone had a similar experience?

Seems to me the skin where the granulomas are was pink again after two weeks from the first treatment. I hope this bodes well for my stoma. It is mostly still bright pink...

Carol :( :(
Ileostomy Oct. 21, 2008

Eastern Ontario, Canada
To Dream a Dream

Re: Silver nitrate burn on stoma

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Thank you for posting. Yes, I had a similar treatment many years ago & also accidently touched the stoma. Leaving those ugly grey spots that did fade with time. I called my then ET Nurse who reassured me. You may want to keep an eye on them & please give your nurse a call to let them know just to be sure.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx