US to/from UK w ostomy scissors in carry on?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
ileo73

US to/from UK w ostomy scissors in carry on?

Post by ileo73 »

Have a trip coming up.

Would prefer not to check luggage.

I've got ostomy scissors and would prefer to take 2 pair (I'm a cautious sort...my backups have backups)

Has anyone here had issues with ostomy scissors in either UK or US airports when flying? Anyone making such trips have advice about scissors or anything else?

Yes these are the ones with the bent/blunt tips.

Thanks in advance
BillV

Re: US to/from UK w ostomy scissors in carry on?

Post by BillV »

Per TSA carry-on restrictions: "If packed in carry-on, they must be less than 4 inches from the pivot point." Ostomy scissors are OK and I had them in my carry-on luggage in domestic flights with no problems.
ileo73

Post by ileo73 »

British air says 6 cm but mine seem to meet that, thanks!
Mara

Post by Mara »

I guess it depends...I am going to Japan soon on a Japanese airline and they have a whole section about ostomies and they do not allow scissors in carry ons. I don't use one for that purpose but I do have a small scissors, very small, that I take for whatever - goes into my checked luggage....
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

I cut the flange before I go so don't take scissors with me at all. I figure if the suppliers can pre-cut them there shouldn't be a problem with me doing it.
Mara

Post by Mara »

Ok, here's my stupid question as an old - in age - and years with ostomy. Don't all the manufacturers have pre-cut flanges? I must be using pre-cut for decades!

Of course, a new or revised ostomy changes sizes so for that period until it regulates I can see having to cut the flange but later on....

And NEskier, you are an oldtimer - with your ostomy - like me.....

If I had to cut my own flange I would probably waste half of them.... :shock:
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
ileo73

Post by ileo73 »

Mine is a bit oval so I prefer cut to fit
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

@Mara: I should probably give up and see about pre-cut as my hands get more arthritis!

@ileo73: I do not use flanges that are pre-cut from the supplier. I cut my own. And I've cut 10 ahead of time in the shape I use. They are fine that way. So feel free to cut the shape you want for as many flanges as you will need, and leave the scissors at home.