Swimming

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
LorrieFL

Swimming

Post by LorrieFL »

Hello all

I’m only 3 months out from surgery with a colostomy bag (due to perforated colon)
I really would like to go back swimming again but I am very leery of something happening. Which scares me to death. Is this too soon to get back into the pool? Or should I wait a little bit longer.

Thanks in advance!
:roll:
SeaQuest

Swimming

Post by SeaQuest »

Enjoy your swim. When I had my surgery, I had a backyard pool so I had an assurance of my more privacy if an accident were to occur. I also used an ostomy belt at first as it helped me psychologically. After a few swims, I quickly quit using the ostomy belt. I've swum in both fresh water and salt water with no issues. I've also been to a number of waterparks where the activity level is much more vigorous, and I've never had a single issue while swimming. At the beginning though, just for the peace of mind, I'd suggest using the ostomy belt which will allow you to relax and feel better about yourself.

Don't let this hold you back from trying and enjoying the activities you enjoyed prior to your surgery. You may have to make adjustments, but you'll know that only after trying.

SeaQuest
Colectomy with Permanent Ileostomy - July 2013 (due to Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis)
LorrieFL

Re: Swimming

Post by LorrieFL »

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I’ve been looking at those belts 🤔
But being only 3 months out (4 months on April 19) I’m still scared to try it. I wish we had a pool at our home. But I can swim probably at my mother-in-law’s I hope!
This whole ordeal (perforated colon) has nor only changed my life but my husband too. I just started driving by myself recently-
Been so 😳 scared!
Thanks again appreciate your reply. 🙏
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

It's a lot to adjust to, but you'll get more confident with time.
I've enjoyed pools, hot tubs, rivers, ocean, and water parks full of children since I got my ostomy. Never had a leak in one yet.

BTW, as a colostomate, you could consider irrigation. That gives you control over your output, and really boosts confidence. Join the friendly 'gators at the UOAA sub forum viewforum.php?f=12
Lee

I am not my disease.
LorrieFL

Post by LorrieFL »

Irrigation??
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Irrigation is when you infuse water into your stoma. It thins out your poop, making it all come out, so you don't poop at random times. Takes about an hour or so.

Most irrigate once a day, and have no output the rest of the time. Many use just a very small pouch that lies flat against the body. I never worry about leaks, or emptying a full pouch in a strange bathroom, or weird bulges under snug clothing any more.

Closest you'll get to your pre-ostomy "normal".

Directions and discussion at viewforum.php?f=12

Talk to your doctor first, of course.
Lee

I am not my disease.
LorrieFL

Post by LorrieFL »

Thanks for explaining to me. Sounds somewhat challenging. I would most likely talk with my doctor first
But thank you so much for sharing 🙂
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

My son is having a pool put in right now.
I have an end ileo and I plan on using the pool.
No question. I'm swimming..... See what happens.
Probably nothin. Lol.
I do use a two peice convetec. Wafer has the white tape.
That may get stiff. But I figured if anything happens I'll just swap it out.
Can't wait! I haven't been in a pool in decades.
I feel you should not worry too much if it's a private pool.
Just go easy and see what happens and good luck.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I have a hot tub and after about an hour the flange is really starting to come off, and that's with the flange extenders.

I'm going on holiday soon and don't fancy having to leave the pool every hour to change my pouch. Any ideas?
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

You can get waterproof stick on covers. I tried them once; they work, but the adhesive gave me a rash (I often have issues with adhesives, so that's me, not them).

You can also try different brands or styles; I use convatec durahesive wafers, and have no problem with water.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Post by Bob Webtech »

Lorrie,

About Irrigation: From what I see in your other posts, you're probably not a candidate for irrigation. Irrigation can be a viable option for people with a permanent colostomy located in the descending colon, usually in the sigmoid colon (thus, a stoma in the lower left abdomen). I notice that your ostomy isn't permanent; you wrote in the thread at viewtopic.php?t=27510 that you expect it to be reversed in June. Where in the colon is your colostomy located? Or, are you sure it's even a colostomy? People sometimes use the word colostomy as a generic term for any fecal ostomy, including both colostomies and ileostomies. If your stoma is in the lower right abdomen, it's probably an ileostomy.

Meanwhile, whether you have a colostomy or ileostomy, don't be afraid to go swimming!
Bob Baumel, UOAA discussion board administrator
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

You raise an important point, Bob. One that even physicians find confusing. For example, due to multiple bowel resections (previous to actual ostomy surgery) on my right abdomen, the stoma I have is located on the left.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

Don't be troubled about getting back into the water. The appliance is waterproof from the inside, so it's also waterproof from the outside. That said, the longer you stay in the water, the more the outside edges of the flange get compromised. I go to the beach every summer, and am a certified scuba diver as well. When I know that I'm going to be spending that much time in the water, I use a Sureseal around my flange. They really do a great job of maintaining the integrity of the flange while allowing me hours upon hours in the water without worrying about the integrity of the flange. Now, I also wear my abdominal binder (hernia) paired with a compression t-shirt to help keep the pouch from flopping around and accidentally getting pulled off...pool volleyball with the family can get pretty intense! Get back in the water and enjoy yourself! Here is a link on amazon to the Sureseals, but I'm sure you can find them other places as well.

https://www.amazon.com/ALRS0210PK-Sure- ... 148&sr=8-1

Hope that helps some.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
LorrieFL

Post by LorrieFL »

Hello Bob thanks so much for your reply I really do appreciate it. Any suggestions thoughts etc. are always welcome to me thank you.
Well I believe it’s a colostomy cause I call it a colostomy bag it’s on the left side. Sometimes I get the lower and upper portion of the colon confused :shock:

I read about the irrigation process and I agree with you I am not a candidate for that. Or I should say I feel that I’m not a candidate for that!

I’m still somewhat leery of swimming I think I’m going to hold off for a while. I’m still trying to get used to changing the bag which I have not done that much of and starting to gain a little bit of independence within the last month. I’m about 3 1/2 months out from my surgery. My husband is awesome he helps me so much. But I know I need to learn to do this by myself. I do have a question though or your suggestion - i’ve been trying to eat the foods that firm so to speak up the output and it doesn’t really seem to be working. Not sure what I should do. I don’t have an ostomy nurse per se? Questions that I have I would have to address to my surgeon. And I do not think he has any idea.

Any thoughts suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you very much🙏
LorrieFL

Post by LorrieFL »

Hi David thank you also for your reply regarding my swimming issues :roll:

That’s exactly what I’m afraid of the flange? Or wafer? - for whatever reason will become loose in the water and it’ll come off. Which scares the hell out of me! I don’t plan on staying in the water long just enough to do my exercises because I am so out of shape and weak since I’ve had two surgeries this year.

I’ll give it another month or so and check into what you suggested on Amazon and think about it.

Thanks so much 🙏
LorrieFL