Father kicked out of assisted living because of ostomy

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
krgreenwald

Father kicked out of assisted living because of ostomy

Post by krgreenwald »

My father was doing well in an assisted living facility with the ileostomy he’s had for almost 60 years. For almost a year we had very few problems. When they started having staffing issues, care of his appliance suffered and we were discharged with the reason given as “uncontrolled incontinence”. We worked with the staff and the facility ombudsman to resolve the issues but it made no difference. Their decision to evict him was final. Now we’re paying for skilled nursing at another facility for almost twice the cost and the “skilled nursing” they have is not so skilled when it comes to changing an ostomy appliance. The AL facility did a better job! Several times in the last five weeks I’ve found my father sitting in his own feces and I end up being the one who has to change it. I AM NOT A NURSE! What the hell is going on? I’ve documented and photographed each incident. I need advice to deal with this. We’re on the waiting list for a better facility (which will cost even more) but I feel assisted living would still be adequate for what he actually needs.

When his appliance leaks for several hours and he’s had his hands in the mess, how concerned should I be about infection? A nurse mentioned C-Diff being a potential risk.
To Dream a Dream

Re: Father kicked out of assisted living because of ostomy

Post by To Dream a Dream »

I am so sorry to learn of your father's experience. I just read ileo73's link & have saved it for future reference. Hopefully, you will be able to use this document to help your father's situation in some way. Not knowing exact details, I am floundering, but wonder if any of the medical professionals involved (physicians, ostomy nurses, occupational therapists, etc.) might be approached to help? Also, are there any local elected representatives who might be willing to assist thru their official capacities. You have raised an issue that potentially affects many of us.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

Gosh, this seems SO unfair, unhealthy, and ridiculous! I understand staffing at residences for seniors is a challenge but is this the BEST the ombudsman could do? To Dream raises some good ideas. Krgreenwald, is there an ostomy support group near you with experienced members or officers who may be able to intervene? You can find the associated support groups here: https://www.ostomy.org/support-group-finder/ Perhaps someone there can help by talking to the staff or giving you some advice.

My mother (not an ostomate) lived in independent living until about age 100. (I did NOT inherit her fabulous genes but those mostly of my father...) My mom lived to 103 but experienced dementia and began falling with me rushing her to the ER frequently. In order for her to stay there, it was required that we hire 24/7 caregivers for her. She refused to go to Assisted Living which would not have helped. We'd still have had to hire someone to check in with her every 1-2 hours. She couldn't live with me due to stairs inside and out. :( Yes, these caregivers are VERY costly!

Would it be possible to arrange for an ostomy nurse to see your father x times/week at the Assisting Living Facility to help change the pouch? Or for an aide to do this? I do believe that aides can be taught this skill if allowed to perform it. If your father has no challenging disease right now and just needs help with his ostomy, I wouldn't think he needs to be in a skilled nursing facility. THAT facility could cause a problem because of the bacteria he is dealing with daily.

I don't know that contacting the national ostomy organization would help -- its advoacy department. I'd start with your local support group. And yes, also write to your congressional representatives and provide as much documentation as necessary.

Good luck. I am so sorry to hear of this situation!
Diane C
2000 MACE
2002 Colostomy
2018 Above + anus removed; Ileostomy
2020 Scar tissue removed
sabresfan18

Post by sabresfan18 »

I would file a complaint with your state's Department of Health. His discharge seems unjust.

I'm sorry this is happening to your father, and I hope you find an (affordable and adequate) situation soon.