Periodic episodes of quick dehydration

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
cgdeshotels_1950

Periodic episodes of quick dehydration

Post by cgdeshotels_1950 »

Hello! I just joined. I’ve had an Ostomy for 30 years! I’ve managed it very well except for periodic episodes of dehydration that happen very quickly and for no obvious reason. I don’t have a virus, I have not changed my diet, I have not been in the heat, and I drink water all day long. But then suddenly my pouch will fill up with clear liquid sometimes up to three times very quickly.

If unmanaged swiftly I will get lightheaded, sometimes passing out.

We have learned to quickly start Imodium, phenegren, and hydration liquids. I use LMNT powder mixed with water.

Have any of you experienced this? Any ideas why? My doctors cannot give me an answer.
To Dream a Dream

Re: Periodic episodes of quick dehydration

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Welcome to our Discussion Board & thank you for joining us. Your symptoms are ones I continue to experience, living with a severely shortened small bowel & ostomy. Outside of going to an ER, I pretty much cope as you have stated. Since you are new to UOAA, here is a link you may find helpful. https://www.ostomy.org/search_gcse/
It should take you to the Search feature of the UOAA website where you can find a wealth of information regarding just about anything ostomy. Please continue to visit our Board & post any questions or comments, also.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
cgdeshotels_1950

Post by cgdeshotels_1950 »

Thank you for your response. Have you heard others with ilestomies having these episodes? I’m just so curious as to WHY? when I take such care to control my output.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Unfortunately, yes. Over these many years, I & friends with similar surgery, have attempted to pin down the source of these transient attacks to no avail. They happen. Then, I fall back & punt, so to speak. Tackling the episode as you do with Imodium, GasX if necessary, rehydrating fluids (I find Pedialyte to be of help for me), low residue diet i.e. rice, instant mashed potatoes, etc. Anything to slow output. But please realize that severe dehydration can develop unexpectedly, so be sure & alert a friend or family member, & call your medical support immediately if symptoms worsen. As you probably have experienced, it's best to be overly cautious in these instances.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
ron in mich.

Post by ron in mich. »

Hi CG just water will do little for you with an ilieo., i,ve had an ilieo. for 38yrs. and have found sipping just water will go thru me so i add some lemon, some salt , and a pinch of sugar to my water, but i also drink some lactose free milk, coffee, a small can of v-8 juice not every day, and gatorade that i mix from powder. when i get a stomach bug i eat foods that thicken my output like applesauce, peanut butter on toast, oatmeal, and that usually gets me past the liquidy output.