Parastomal Hernia Surgery Experience?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Pilgrim

Parastomal Hernia Surgery Experience?

Post by Pilgrim »

I've had my stoma for 17 years. No surgeries since. The past several years a bulge has been growing under my stoma. Initially my surgeon would retired since said let it alone if it doesn't bother you. Now, even though I don't have pain it is just so noticeable under my cloths even with a hernia belt. I went to the surgeon who took over for my previous surgeon and he agrees it is large but the CT Scan doesn't indicate much intestines coming through wall, how can this be? Anyway I am set up for surgery May 17th. Anyone with experience with this surgery how long did the operation take, how long were you in hospital, how long till you went back to normal activities. What else can you tell me. I'm not getting clear answers from surgeon . I would like to get back to work within 6 weeks cause my disability insurance from work says if I don't I'll have to go on Cobra and it will be a hassle from there.
Thanks Kevin
Chelly

Re: Parastomal Hernia Surgery Experience?

Post by Chelly »

Hi, just so happens I came in here to see what I’ve missed lately. I had parastomal hernia surgery 2 years ago. I can fully understand the struggle of hiding the hernia under clothing. And oh that heaviness feeling.
Anyhow, I had a temporary ileostomy back in 2017. I developed a parastomal hernia at that time but like you they did not want to go in to fix it. The only way would be if I had an obstruction. After 2 years of my temporary Ostomy we removed my whole colon, rectum etc.. he gave me an end ileostomy on the other side. Closed up the temporary. He tried fixing the hernia doing stitch repair along with an old umbilical hernia that I had there but that did not hold up. Going forward I developed another parastomal hernia under my new stoma. So now I had 2 parastomal hernias and the umbilical. I went to see general surgery but same thing…. They wanted to do watch and wait unless of course it caused a bowel obstruction. Well that bowel obstruction did happen but it was partial. They scheduled me for the repair and I had them all fixed with mesh. I was in their study as well. I think I had the sugar baker method. I must say that after surgery and when the swelling finally went down that I felt like I had a tummy tuck. Flat stomach!!’ I was off work for 4 weeks. The original was 6 weeks but I needed to go back due to finances and my dr. Okayed it due to I did not doing any lifting, bending or strenuous activities at my job. The healing went very well. I was very pleased with everything.
I was told to never lift anything over 20 pounds. Well, after my confidence took hold I started doing stupid stuff like lifting laundry etc.. my hernia on my new stoma is coming back but very, very small. If I could give any advice that means the world in this it would be listen to the doctors instructions and by no means to forget what you have been through and start lifting again because it will return. If you stay with the program and don’t lift you should be good to go! We have to learn to baby ourselves a bit and to learn to say no to certain activities. We need to think about ourselves for a change and dint bend to others wanting you to do things that you know your not supposed to be doing because in the end you will be the one suffering with problems. Keeping your weight down will also help to keep the hernia from returning. I think the surgery took more than a few hours but I had 3 hernias. If I can remember right I think I was in the hospital for maybe 5 days to a week. Not long.
copilot49

Post by copilot49 »

I just had my 3rd parastomal hernia repair. Original surgery was 12 years ago. After 2 hernia repairs I had a parastomal hernia again. I went in for left hip replacement...all good. Discharge after 1 day but I had such nausea following that surgery! Went to ER with really bad nausea and tummy pain and they did CT of my belly.

This time the hernia had multiple loops of incarcerated small bowel in the hernia. An accident waiting to happen. Immediate surgery scheduled for next day. They couldn't repair the hernia but had to totally relocate the colostomy with an open surgery. Surgeon had to cut out some of my small bowel which was starting to get necrotic. The colostomy had to be higher up than previously.

Now I wear my hernia belt ALL THE TIME. Don't ever want to have another colon surgery.
CRC St 2a 5/11
chemorad/APR/chemo
NED!
Desert Deuces

Post by Desert Deuces »

Hi, I've been told a couple of times that I might have a hernia, so I'm really glad to have found this post. I'm so sorry you folks suffered hernias, however, your comments are very educational. Thank you for sharing.
I'm new to ostomy. I just had my surgery a few months ago. Since then I noticed an increasingly large bulge to the side of my ostomy and it's been very concerning.
Now, thanks to you folks, I finally understand what an ostomy belt is for, so I ordered one.
I wonder why the doctors don't give better information right after surgery. I'm gonna ask.