Ileostomy having to take Immodium 2X daily

For discussing ostomies that are intended to be temporary, and the reversal/takedown of such ostomies.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderator: Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
zenguyaz

Ileostomy having to take Immodium 2X daily

Post by zenguyaz »

I have a temporary ileostomy to let my intestines heal from a resection that I had on September 12th. The question I have is that ever since they gave me the temporary loop ileostomy on September 12th, i have to take 2X a day 2mg of Immodium otherwise my poop just goes to water like crazy. I have modified my eating habits insantely (bananas, apple sauce, yogurt) for breakfast, protein for lunch and dinner. Is this a common issue people have seen, cause I literally expect that I will have to take immodium every day until it is reversed. Doesn't seem quite healthy that I am taking so much but otherwise i think i'll go right into dehydration cause my poop is to liquidy. I am considering taking other fiber supplements to see if i can offset and make it not so watery!

Any ideas on what I should do here?
ot dave

Re: Ileostomy having to take Immodium 2X daily

Post by ot dave »

Welcome zen,

To answer your question, it's important to remember that everyone is unique in how their body responds to an ostomy. That said, it's also important to remember that a large role of the colon is to remove water before output makes its way to the rectum. Right now you are bypassing the colon, therefore, water absorption is quite limited. Over time, it's possible that your ileum will adjust and also begin to absorb more water.
On the use of immodium, no need to worry. I have found zero studies or any physician that warns against daily use of immodium. I'm an irrigator, and I use 8 mg of immodium every day to help manage my output to only when I irrigate...I've been doing it for 10+ years! No side effects for me in those 10+ years from the immodium. So, if it's working, roll with it...

Hope that helps.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Thank you for joining our Discussion Board. I also have had an ileostomy with very liquid output for many years. Like you, I avoid over medicating, but I agree with Dave about Imodium. (If in doubt ask your GI support team.) When I take it, I find that the liquid-filled caplets are more effective than solid tablets.
Also, as your ostomy is relatively new, it may take a while before its output reaches a less liquid consistency. In the meanwhile, it is important that you be aware of precautions against dehydration. Here is a link to the UOAA (main website www.ostomy.org) that may be helpful: https://www.ostomy.org/diet-nutrition/
The UOAA has a wealth of information.
Please continue to visit our Board which is 24/7 & a good source of support.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
darick

Post by darick »

Same as above, even at the conferences and docs, no one has said taking even 10 a day is bad for you.

I take the small tablet ones that dissolve pretty quickly in liquid. Same for meds I'm on, nothing that takes too long to process, with the shorter pipes.

Worth a read through this search term, as marshmallows and other items help slow things down also: search.php?keywords=marshmallows
Ewings Sarcoma: 1996; G-tube: 1997; Cecostomy: 1998-99; Colostomy: ~2000; Irrigator: 2013-