Stoma paste and barrier ring?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Grimace45

Stoma paste and barrier ring?

Post by Grimace45 »

Can you use both stoma paste and a barrier ring?

Does that add extra protection?

Pros?

Cons?
Mysticobra

Re: Stoma paste and barrier ring?

Post by Mysticobra »

Mmm.
Never tried at the same time.
Found the ring superior and haven't
used paste since.
I'm gonna wait for answers myself too.
Richar
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

The paste is more spackle than paste as far as usefulness goes. It's best for filling creases or divots in the skin before applying the flange. The barrier rings do provide an extra barrier. So at least one of those is named for what it does!
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

The paste never did much for me. You can cut bits off barrier rings and roll them into snakes to fill crevices.
Lee

I am not my disease.
ron in mich.

Post by ron in mich. »

Hi all when i put the ring on there,s always a gap in one spot or another so fill that gap with paste and that seems to work for me.
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

I use a barrier ring and usually Stomahesive strips on the sides of my stoma next to the barrier. My abdomen has a crevice on each side of my stoma because my (not brilliant) surgeon created my stoma on a previous scar. :-( I'm still struggling with leakage of my ileostomy. These help. I sometimes stretch out the ring and use it like a Stomahesive strip. I'm out of SureSeals which cover the whole area nicely and are waterproof. Will definitely be ordering more of these next time! https://parthenoninc.com/sure-seal-ring ... 01-10-pkg/

The leakage admittedly is getting to me. It's been a year of MUCH laundry! Hope not for you!

Diane C
Diane C
2000 MACE
2002 Colostomy
2018 Above + anus removed; Ileostomy
2020 Scar tissue removed
fapope

Post by fapope »

Using stoma paste gave me a significant improvement in sealing around my stoma and stopped most of my skin irritations. It greatly extended my wear time for a bag. I was able to dispense using a barrier ring and eventually just used a double seal convex bag (Hollister) with a bead of barrier paste around the stoma. Give it a stoma paste try and consider experimenting (Yes I know it is expensive) with some of the suggestions above.
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

Can anyone fully describe the differences among the Safe n Simple ostomy rings? I do seem to like them the best. They have "conforming" ones, integrity ones, and a new LONGEVITY ring. I'm dealing with leakage partly due to Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. Does anyone use the 4" seal and cover quite a bit of the abdomen under the wafer instead of using the 2" inch ring? I need to submit a new order. Can call Safe n Simple on Monday but wonder if anyone could easily explain the differences. https://sns-medical.com/products/confor ... sive-seals Thanks in advance.
Diane C
2000 MACE
2002 Colostomy
2020 Scar tissue removed
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

Hello all.
A suggestion.
Before I put my ring on I make sure my stoma is dry from seepage as to not bring the seepage under the ring between the skin and ring
It works. I simply put a peice of tp on my stoma to dry it and as soon as I take the tp off I slide the ring down. So the ring has just skin to stick to and no seepage between.
I'm not positive but I think before I did this the seepage was causing leaks.
Just a thought.
Richard.
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

I guess a ring could be used with paste, for instance if the skin around the stoma is rough and uneven, then a thin layer of paste to even things out and get the skin right next to the stoma well then apply a ring on top of that, then the pouch. But I think it's a waste of a ring and time if paste is used.

Time usually is a problem with stomas spewing whenever.

Likely what is occurring is the ring is being applied to uneven skin or not right right against stoma and melted properly. Someone suggested using a hair dryer and that may work to not only keep skin dry, but to assist in melting ring and pre drying paste a bit.
james2005

Post by james2005 »

I have an uneven place..when I bend over I began to loose my seal... to fight this I found that using a Ostomy Nu-Support belt. When I bend over it holds my flange up tight and helps to seal those creases. If I'm going to do hard work I will use 2 inch tape to help hold the seal. Normally I don't have to use anything other than my spray and the belt. I hope this helps.
Diane C

Post by Diane C »

I agree with Ron in Michigan and will use paste or a Stomahesive strip where there's a gap between the seal and my skin. I ALSO found the Nu-Hope customized belt helpful UNLESS I had a LOT of output in which case it just got stained -- along with my clothes. :-( Some ostomy nurses suggested addding a bit of water to paste -- it changes the texture for the better and it adheres more.
Diane C
2000 MACE
2002 Colostomy
2020 Scar tissue removed