Dealing with leaks

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
DWoboyle

Dealing with leaks

Post by DWoboyle »

Hello Folks,

I've had my ileostomy for almost a year now and for the last two or so months I've been having issues with leaks with almost ever bag. The leak is always in the same place and usually starts a day or so before I plan to change my bag (but not exclusively). The leak forms on the left side of my bag between my skin and the wafer towards the center. The moldable ring I put around my stoma is always liquefied and paste-like. If it's not too bad then I usually just cover it with some medical tape as a quick fix until I can change the whole thing.

It's very frustrating!

Does anyone have any advice or know why it may be happening?

I use hollister green bags and wafers, their Adapt Cerarings, and stoma powder.

I wasn't really seeing this issue previously, but I was still recovering and was list active. My assumption is I might be bending over a lot more and doing stuff like running up and down stairs that might be bending the harder plastic ring and allowing gunk to get between the skin and wafer. But I don't know.

Thanks in advance.
ron in mich.

Re: Dealing with leaks

Post by ron in mich. »

Hi DWoboyle have you tried a different ring, i have an ilieostomy and use convatecs eakin seal thin and get 4-5 days wear time.
ot dave

Post by ot dave »

The powder might be your culprit. If you're not using a barrier spray, then you are basically trying to use duct tape to hold your towel down at the beach! The ONLY time I use powder is if I have weeping skin under the flange. And, when I do, I spray that area multiple times with cavilon or an equal spray on skin barrier. I don't like the barrier wipes, they seem to move the powder around and cause other issues.

Hope that helps.

David
stage III rectal CA 12/08 - colostomy 3/09
"Gatoring since 2010"
Psalms 91:2
Mara

Post by Mara »

Since you are fairly recent with your surgery, maybe you need to verify that your pouch opening is the correct diameter...usually it changes a lot in the beginning. You could try other types of pouches - most companies send free samples. I think there is information on the main website here.
I am sort of low tech...lol....I don't use any kind of spray on my skin. I just wash/clean it when I change and use a very little amount of powder which i basically blow off and an Eakin seal. I change once a week for the most part.
Best of luck,
Mara
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
DWoboyle

Post by DWoboyle »

Thank you for the responses.

I do use spray (though was trained with wipes and Byram basically refuses to let me order any wipes for some reason despite me putting them on my order. I don't know, that's a different issue! haha). I've been finding the spray tends to send the powder flying everywhere. I've tried spraying gauze and then dabbing, but the powder tends to cling to the gauze in a way it doesn't with the wipes.

It does sound like I am maybe using too much powder though. I'll try using less when I change my bag tomorrow.
Mara

Post by Mara »

If you are talking about adhesive remover wipes, I just bought a box of 50 from Amazon for under $10. Probably drugstores have them as well.....

That's about a year's supply for me....
DWoboyle

Post by DWoboyle »

No, I mean the barrier film prep wipes.
Mara

Post by Mara »

DWoboyle wrote: 2023-12-11 00:24:23 No, I mean the barrier film prep wipes.
Oh, sorry for my confusion....I am an old-timer with my ileostomy and very low tech...don't even know what those wipes are....

Why don't you ask the company why they don't send them- are they on your Rx? That's awfully annoying!!
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

One thing I found causes leaks.
If you use a ring as you push it over your stoma it takes the seepage from the stoma and it gets under the ring. Between the skin and the ring.
What I do is take a peice of tp and wrap my stoma lightly just to dry it prior to putting the ring on. As soon as I take the tp off I put the ring on.
It goes straight on to dry skin.
Personally I think the seepage from the stoma getting between the ring and skin kept it from sealing it off.
I have had alot better luck since doing this.
As for stoma powder. Don't use it unless I have rally irritated skin. Which I haven't had in a long time.
But try drying the stoma before applying the ring.
Works for me. I get seven days. Could get more but I want a fresh appliance on.
Good luck.
Richard.
P. S.
Less is best. The less you can get away with using the better your results will be. At least in my case.
P. S. S.
When I use a skin protetant try not to put it where the molded part goes.
DWoboyle

Post by DWoboyle »

For my most recent bag I had no leaks!! it does seem like I was using too much powder.
ritucci1

Post by ritucci1 »

Anyone out there who is having luck, please let me know what moldable seals are working for you. I have been using convatec stomahesive strips for years and they have been failing recently. I switched to Coloplast protective seal and durable seal rings. Nothing is sticking. I've had my ileostomy for 7 years. This is a new problem.
ileo73

Post by ileo73 »

Safe n Simple conforming work for me
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Durahesive moldable flanges from Convatec have helped me.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

Hi,

New to the boards and have an illeostomy for about 6 months now.

I've found Coloplast products seem to do better than Hollister and Conventec, mainly their two part stays on more secure and their otosmy belt has 4 hooks and a wider belt instead of thin and only two hooks.

My otosmy procedure is quite involved and is as follows

Remove (spray adhesive remover) and clean area with water only. Soap will dry skin of oils and itch. Dry thoroughly.

Prepare bag cutting 1" hole, (measure your stoma with guide provided) fold up bottom to seal. Pre-prepare is best as it's faster in case stoma is active.

If bleeding is occurring, then use StopBleed powder in small amounts as not to build up too high.

Use Medline Marathon if skin is broken and on top of StopBleed if applied. Ensure skin right next to stoma is covered, may have to stretch area to get it all. IMPORTANT!

Allow previous products (if applied) to dry thoroughly.

Next open Skin Barrier bottle and fill stoma area surrounding with fluid to fill cracks and smear around on adhesive area clean skin to cover. Clear fluid on stoma exit area, allow to dry thoroughly.

If the skin around stoma is rough, then use otosmy paste pressed into cracks and crevices around stoma and filled right next to stoma. IMPORTANT! Smooth so leveled. This may sting but it's a good sting as once it's done it's done and protecting from acid which keeps on burning.

If skin is clean and smooth around stoma, then using the rings is possible provided it's opened to exactly fit around stoma and leaving no gaps of bare skin or else it will be burned by the acid.

Will try hair dryer method on rings and to dry skin another poster commented on.

Apply the pouch system to the rings or paste and evenly press around the inner area next to the stoma to seal skin, sealant and pouch together. Several minutes of heavy pressure required to get things to melt and fuse.

Apply external reinforcement strips if necessary. High humidity and sweat usually. Near belly button area is usually weak as well.

Wait for sealant to set up and harden, bind properly. Then apply otosmy belt and wait if possible.

My current problem is curing the hairline crack of skin right next to the stoma where acid collects. I've found surrounding this with generous Medline Marathon followed by generous skin barrier liquid (wipes not enough) poured in works good followed by pressing a small amount of pre-paste to ensure coverage. Then followed by more paste to level seems to work.

First sign of burning go ahead and change the bag, more often if scabbing occurs to clean and reattach to fresh skin.

I find stoma powder to be somewhat ineffective and reduces adhesion. I can understand if skin is weeping then perhaps to dry it out but needs to be brushed and dry wiped. I use the Medline Marathon instead if this weeping occurs as it will cause a scab like covering that dries fast.

Hope this helps
Last edited by Shamrock4806 on 2024-02-23 02:25:26, edited 2 times in total.