Low Serum Phosphorous Levels

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
To Dream a Dream

Low Serum Phosphorous Levels

Post by To Dream a Dream »

As ostomates, we all realize the importance of maintaining appropriate electrolyte balance. When I felt weak & dehydrated, I usually had low Potassium & sodium. Now it seems my phosphorous is also a problem. Low enough to have caused a fall, short hospitalization with Home Health Services at discharge & a trip to the ER after PCP had seen the latest bloodwork. Am now on potassium phosphate pill (once daily, crushed & dissolved in 8 oz. of water.) Bloodwork is to be repeated.
Anyone else out there dealing with this?
PS The ER staff gave me what I think was a single potassium phosphate pill to swallow whole with a scant paper cup of water at discharge around midnight. Although, I had told them I have a shortened small bowel with a permanent ostomy & questioned that delivery of the med. I later experienced a severe burning heartburn lasting three days. Needless to say, my next ostomy change was not routine, nor pleasant.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Shamrock4806

Re: Low Serum Phosphorous Levels

Post by Shamrock4806 »

See this, has helped me a lot!

https://sirona-cic.org.uk/wp-content/up ... -bleed.pdf

I've been munching on soda crackers not only for the thickening aspect, but for salt and some slight potassium. If I want runny output all I do is drink a beer, works like magic.

A V8 is loaded with potassium, so are bananas.

Meat and cheese's are good sources of phosphorous, also milk and eggs.

A well balanced diet is essential.

Perhaps a high output is causing these essentials from not being absorbed by the body, so thickening output and curing high output likely required.
To Dream a Dream

Post by To Dream a Dream »

Thank you, Shamrock. Yes, I have a very liquid output due to severe shortening of my GI tract even before the original ostomy surgery in 1977. (I've had to be on TPN in the past.) But I have been blessed with the ability to cope with it on my own with only occasional trips to the ER over the last 30+ years. My most recent hospitalization until this all began, was back in 2014 & what an eye opener this has been! Priding myself on my self-reliance & toughness, I don't handle being incapacitated very well. I struck my head when I fell which has only added to the frustration. Fortunately, my relatively new PCP is very intelligent, thorough & respects my own ability to participate in my care plan. Which means a lot because the Home Health staff (a very first-time experience for me that I found a viable option to continuing in a facility) has followed suit. And with a lot of prayers, I have been able to manage ostomy care despite the situation. I was discharged from OT yesterday due to my progress. If my bloodwork is better, I may not need SN services. I continue with PT to build my aged muscles & help me regain balance. And have been assured that if I feel I need assistance in future, it will be available.
I also try to stay positive & used this hospitalization to introduce the UOAA to a first responder with a grandchild who has had an ostomy since birth and a young nurse who had once had a temporary ostomy & fully realized the patient's need for info & support.
And a big 'thank you' to all of my Discussion Board family for being here 24/7 for me over the years. God bless.
Crohn's Dx '66 (perforated ileum)
Multiple Bowel Resections
Ileo '77 Revision '85
Celiac Dx
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

Okay I've compromised a short list of illeostomy friendly (no clog or smelly) high phosphorus foods which also have low water volume.

Milk (low fat, not too much)
Yogurt (low fat)
Lentils (soup or mushy to prevent a clog)
Cheese
Salmon (plain with butter)
Skinless chicken (no salt or fat, not too much)
Pork (not too salty or greasy)
Chocolate
Oatmeal (no sugar etc. butter and a little milk)

Not to much quantity of anything, small more frequent meals over the day, big one about lunch time, less in the evening so one can sleep.

Centrum Silver vitamin daily (broken up to dissolve faster w/food)

So I've been keeping with my nutritionists recommendations and based upon experience with high volume, seems like all sorts of things trigger it. 😢

It's not been easy. 🙄