My pouch is discontinued!

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
jgonino

My pouch is discontinued!

Post by jgonino »

Hello. The pouch I’ve been using from Hollister (3274) is discontinued. I haven’t been able to find a suitable replacement. The pouch needs to be 16 inches long or longer due to the unusual placement of my stoma. Any ideas??
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Re: My pouch is discontinued!

Post by Bob Webtech »

This is interesting. Hollister 3274 is a Karaya-seal pouch. I didn't think Hollister would ever discontinue their Karaya-seal products, given their base of dedicated long-time users. But they've done it now, due to unavailability of materials, as stated at https://www.hollister.com/en/karaya

In your case, it appears that the relevant issue is the length of the pouch rather than the material of the pouch seal. Unfortunately, it seems that, aside from the Karaya-seal pouches you were using, Hollister doesn't make any pouches of the length you need.

Meanwhile, some of Coloplast's high-output pouches are pretty long, so you might want to give them a call at 888-726-7872. You might also want to call Convatec at 800‐422‐8811 to see if any of their high-output pouches are long enough.
Bob Baumel, UOAA discussion board administrator
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

Can confirm Coloplast has a high output (thus longer) pouch. It has a valve at the bottom which may be difficult unless output is extremely runny. What's good about the valve is being able to connect it to a floor mounted unit this reducing nighttime bathroom visits.

Since it's a four hook system, your going to need to order their belts as well if your using one, recommended for such a large pouch anyway.

I think you'll be mostly happy with the quality of Coloplasts products, I am since trying the others, just the valve issue may be a problem so see if they have the same without the valve, a larger release Velcro opening. You could opt to cut the valve out and use a clamp too.

Good luck
jgonino

Post by jgonino »

This is so helpful! I will order them today. Thank you!