Taking a shower with a otosmy bag

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
Shamrock4806

Taking a shower with a otosmy bag

Post by Shamrock4806 »

Well I usually just waited until a bag change to take a shower but got a little ripe after 2 days and with a good hold on the bag decided to take a shower.

Combining my experience of not taking too hot and too long of a shower less I sweat the bag off I gave it a shot.

Took the belt off and stepped backwards into the shower so the water was running off my back.

Washed everything except my ostomy area and saved that area for a wash cloth area cleaning and wiping.

Turned off shower and towelled dried, put the belt back on and I was back in business.

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE TELL NEWBIES THIS NEAT TRICK? 😜

Now I can go back to showering daily. Hurray! 😆
Mara

Re: Taking a shower with a otosmy bag

Post by Mara »

Well, I think it's unfortunate that you thought you couldn't take a shower!! Did someone tell you that after your surgery? Maybe because I had mine so long ago and I was in my late teens I just did what I wanted...
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
NEskier

Post by NEskier »

As Mara and I have figured out, we have done this so long we don't think much about the ostomy. And we got them pre-internet so there were no forums like this to tell us what we could/couldn't or should/shouldn't do! Like weight lifting .....

I can't believe no one said you could shower with all the gear attached. Good thing the nurse who showed me how to set up and care for the ostomy told me to go take a shower and see how that worked for me. HEAVEN after a few days in the hospital post surgery! You can also swim, hot tub or pretty much anything. Some people find the heat is a problem. I'd say the only time heat gave me a problem was on a ski trip where the group hung out in the hot tub for at least 45 minutes. And I know better than that being a good idea. Oh well, sometimes even old dogs need reminders! :roll:

Continue on your ostomy journey. IMHO it gets easier with time.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I take the pouch off, rinse it and the wafer, and take my shower with just the wafer. Hang the pouch to dry and put on yesterday's pouch (or a new one) after the shower. Been doing that for 9 years, no issues.
Last edited by steiconi on 2024-03-23 22:44:42, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Mysticobra

Post by Mysticobra »

I just fold it in half.
Tape it to my skin.
Cover it with cling wrap.
Tape the too and sides with waterproof tape.
Get in and shower
Now I only change once a week.
That's when I strip it all off and take a shower with no appliance.
It works for me.
I hate a wet bag. And I use convetec wafers with the white tape..
We all have our way of doing it that works for us
This may not work for others
But I was given no advice from a ostomy nurse
Seems she was not interested and just moved on.
I just figured out everything on my own.
And in the end it was better.
Richard.
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

Well I was rushed to a trauma hospital that had absolutely zero after care nor handled cancer. Just dumped my arse home and promised to send a nurse that never showed up.

Wound up going back to same hospital a few more times because I was so helpless, then went to the best hospital and they took good care of me then. Almost anyway.
NorthwoodsLynn

Post by NorthwoodsLynn »

I have had an ostomy for almost 5 years...would always take bag off and just shower with wafer...now, as I irrigate I just shower with no bag or wafer...am using the coloplast one piece mini ostomy pouches...no more wafers, which used to cause skin issues