Are all the ostomy supply vendors totally useless?

For general discussion of ostomies and continent diversions.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob, ot dave

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
steiconi

Are all the ostomy supply vendors totally useless?

Post by steiconi »

I've been ordering from 180 Medical for several years. They screw up my order at least 25% of the time, but I've been too lazy to find a replacement.

A month ago, there was a problem. They said it had been referred to customer service, but I haven't gotten anything from them. I emailed once a week, but got no reply.

So I decided it's time to find a responsible vendor, and picked Duke. Filled out and submitted their online forms. More than a week, no reply.

Are they all arrogant idiots?

Is there a vendor who will communicate? I much prefer email because it gives me a record of what and when. Aaaaaauuuuugggghhhhh!!!!
Lee

I am not my disease.
Mara

Re: Are all the ostomy supply vendors totally useless?

Post by Mara »

I use Adapt Health Care - I think they used to be McKesson. I don't really have any issues with them. I do my orders on the phone rather than email so If there is some kind of issue the representative should know about it.

My last order arrived in a damaged carton but the items inside were okay - just boxes a little crushed. I sent them photos and also spoke to someone and I told them I did not need any replacements but they sent me a whole new shipment a few days later anyway....

Maybe you can give them a try, steiconi - also I am on Medicare if that makes a difference....
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Thanks, Mara, I'll try them today.

ETA. I just visited their website; they don't list what manufacturers they carry, and their ostomy button doesn't work. I mean, c'mon, people, it's the 21st century!

I emailed. Not holding my breath.

ETA again; looks like there is "Adapt Health", that I wrote to, and " AdaptHealth Patient Care Solutions" (their website promises a catalog is coming soon). Which were you suggesting?

ETAA they responded quickly but just said they carried convatec, and the don't have a catalog of ostomy supplies, just a non working button..
So I sent then a list of my supplies. They confirmed they carried them all, but didn't give any tips for ordering. Nothing on the website was helpful or worked.
So I emailed again, asking how to enroll. By then, it was late in the day.

I opened an online website in 1998. Never made anybody call for info. I buy online all the time, from large and small vendors. Never have to call.

Ostomy suppliers are the only ones who are so terrible with email. If I call, I know I'll be stuck on hold, transferred reportedly... What an awful business plan.
Last edited by steiconi on 2024-04-22 20:16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

I am not my disease.
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

I use Medical Monks, excellent, but they don't accept insurance.

My insured supplier is Edgepark and yea I just take whatever they manage to send me as extra.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Shamrock4806 wrote: 2024-04-22 16:24:03
My insured supplier is Edgepark and yea I just take whatever they manage to send me as extra.
are you saying Edgepark just sends random stuff? I'm trying to get away from that...
Lee

I am not my disease.
Shamrock4806

Post by Shamrock4806 »

steiconi wrote: 2024-04-22 17:37:29
Shamrock4806 wrote: 2024-04-22 16:24:03
are you saying Edgepark just sends random stuff? I'm trying to get away from that...
I had something set up with them so it would come once a month but it appears they don't have sufficient supplies on hand then keep repeating the same shorted order without returning to my original order or adding on what was missed.

I just gave up on them basically. 😆

Likely just scamming the system somehow.

"Oh we keep running out of those, but we keep billing your insurance the same every month anyway" 😆

Medical Monks I get someone on the phone pretty much right away, they know my past orders and I tell them what I want, ships to wherever I'm at.

I'm living out of hotel rooms. 😁

Trying to change ones address with Edgepark is like trying to pull a tooth out of a pirranna.. 😆
sandys

Post by sandys »

Ive used Duke forever. Call their toll free phone number (888)678-6692. They ship fast, if I order in the morning the package is usually delivered next day.
Sandy in Indiana

Ileostomy 1963 age almost 21
Remaining colon and rectum removed 1964
Fairly healthy ever since
Mara

Post by Mara »

Sorry not to reply but I have been traveling and not online - I meant Adapt Health Patient Care Solutions - I just looked at their website and they carry many different brands but it does seem like they don't have a catalog....I guess that's not helpful for you...since you want to see everything online. I just order the same items all the time so that's not an issue for me.....hope you can find a solution!!!
Ileostomy due to UC - 50 odd years
BillGK

Post by BillGK »

I use Desert Providers, Coolidge AZ. I have original Medicare plus a Medigap policy w/AARP-UnitedHealth. They accept Medicare assignment. They operate in AZ and CA only, from a Medicare insurance standpoint. They call me every month and ask me what supplies I need, and I tell them, and the supplies show up a couple of days later. Been with them for going-on 10 years, I would guess….? I have not had one problem with an order in all that time and have never paid a dime out of pocket - pinch me. YMMV.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Maybe I *could* pinch you, I'm in Tucson.

They don't even have a website?? Whiiiine
But since none of the others have a *useful* website, that's not so bad, I guess.

I finally heard from 180 medical, after a month and three emails; not from customer service, nor an answer, just the standard order reminder.
Lee

I am not my disease.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I called Desert Providers. They were very nice, asked the right questions, looks like it will work out.

Thanks, Bill
Lee

I am not my disease.
BillGK

Post by BillGK »

Happy to hear it!

Do you have original Medicare? That’s what I have, and they take assignment and have access to all of the supplies of my choice (and once they knew what my supplies are they order ahead so that they are ready to go as soon as I put in my order). No idea how it would work w/Advantage plans because Advantage plans have provider networks and I presume that Desert Providers is not in-network for hardly any of them…?

Patti is the owner and she is a sweetheart. I normally get calls for monthly supplies from Michele, occasionally Latisha. I would guess that the whole place is <6 people, so the service is very personalized and helpful.

They are sticklers for following Medicare rules. No in-person visit w/provider in the last 12 months, no supplies. Have to answer two simple questions when they call to take my order - are you in a nursing home, etc. And I have to sign a turnaround document that comes w/my monthly supplies. Medicare has really clamped down on durable medical equipment and DP follows procedures to the letter, and the process is simple. I am just delighted to have found these folks and hope to heck that they stay in business for a very long time. I get the impression that their main service focus is American Indian reservation residents - Pima/Maricopa/Apache in AZ and I don’t know which ones in California near San Diego.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

Thanks so much for recommending Desert Providers. I called them Monday. They cleared it with Medicare (original plus medigap, something I think you also suggested years ago), dealt with my doctor, and got my order to me on Friday. Four days!
Obviously, not all vendors are useless!

Meanwhile, Duke told me they were planning to contact my doc three weeks after I filled out their forms (I told them not to), and 180 Medical never answered my three emails over five weeks, just eventually sent me an order reminder.
Lee

I am not my disease.
BillGK

Post by BillGK »

Good start. Just wait until they’ve grooved it and you get your order the next day or day after. Desert Providers is the Amazon of the ostomy supplies world.

Medicare has gotten very tough on DME companies, and DP does everything exactly per the Medicare rules book, and there’s been an evolution from two months supplies to one month, and they call and take the order, and you sign a paper that comes with the supplies. 5 minutes total time.

Who are you talking to, there?
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I'm bad with names, another reason I prefer written communication. But whoever, they were very nice and efficient.
Lee

I am not my disease.