Hello

For discussing international ostomy issues, including matters relating to the International Ostomy Association (IOA) and its member associations.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.
Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
SarahM

Hello

Post by SarahM »

Hi Everyone

I thought I should introduce myself since I am one of the moderators of the International Ostomy World discussion board. My name is Sarah Maill, I am 31 years old and have a permanent ileostomy due to Crohn's. In fact I'll be celebrating my 14th anniversary next month. I teach Maths and English to 16-19 year olds on a work based learning programme and live in Newcastle upon Tyne, in the UK.

I am very active within the ia (Ileostomy and Internal Pouch Support Group) here in the UK as am on my local group's committee and was on the Executive Council from April 2002 - April 2007 as the Young ia representative. I decided to stand down for various reasons but mainly to concentrate on working on an international level after being apppointed the 20/40 Focus chair in February.

We have just held the 4th 20/40 Focus conference in conjunction with IOA's World Congress in Puerto Rico, which was very successful. I am now looking forward to working alongside IOA to develop 20/40 and to take our ideas forward. If anyone would like to contact me, feel free to email me at focuschair@ostomyinternational.org.

Otherwise, I'll see you all around the boards.

Sarah
LeeAnn

Post by LeeAnn »

Welcome Sarah.

LeeAnn
You are always right where you need to be to take the next step beyond .GF
Linda in NJ

Hello from Linda too

Post by Linda in NJ »

Hello from me too, your other Moderator on the International Forum.

Our purpose as moderators is not necessarily to answer all the questions that are posed here ... we and IOA hope that this forum will come to be visited by many people from around the world, and that you and they will develop a rich interchange of ideas and experience. Welcome to you all! Please spend a moment telling us about yourself.

To introduce myself, I'm Linda Aukett, living in the State of New Jersey in the US. Like Sarah I have a permanent ileostomy, but mine was for ulcerative colitis. My stoma is older than Sarah's - in fact it is older than Sarah herself :!:

At the time of my surgery I was a social worker, and I continued in that profession for many more years. After I left paid employment I became a more or less full time volunteer for the former UOA, with a focus on achieving better reimbursement for ostomy supplies through the Medicare program (the US's health insiurance for the disabled and those over 65). I continue to work in that area for UOAA, as well as being an active participant in the organization that now sponsors the Youth Rallyfor teens with an ostomy or other bowel or bladder diversion.

I and my husband Ken, a past-President of both UOA and IOA, have been very fortunate to have made many friends in the international ostomy family, and to have visited many countries and attended many international meetings.

My most recent involvement with the IOA was as President of one of its regional associations, NCACOA*. That position allowed me a seat on the IOA Executive Council for the 2004-2007 term. Prior to that I edited the "Ostomy International" journal**.

Linda

* NCACOA is one of 5 regional associations comprising all the IOA member countries - this one covering the associations in North and Central American and the Caribbean. You can see all the regions and their members here.

** OI was a publication of the IOA that is no longer being produced (although they do have a quarterly electronic newsletter called IOA Today,which you can sign up here to receive.)
val

Post by val »

hi
i really wish we had support groups here in S.A.
i was really fortunate to have my daughter find these discussion boards = they have been my support. i have laughed and cried many times as i anxiously check who has posted what at least twice a day. reading posts aloud to my husband, in disbelief sometimes, that others could have the same dilemmas as me. this board has helped me heal emotionally and helped me to stop saying 'whyme?' ( well nearly stopped!)
i had stomach pains for a few weeks and my family doctor was not very helpful so by the time i went to the hospital, my bowel was rupturing and turning gangrenous, so i have had 7 surgeries, 2 ileostomies and many deathly nights in ICU fighting for my life. i am in my 5th month home and still getting used to life with a bag - especially the interuppted sleep. It is just so comforting to know there are others out there with the same problem. I cannot go for a reversal as i only have less than a metre of small intestine left and no large bowel. So i really do have to get used to this!! is anybody else from South Africa?
would love to hear from you.
Val
SarahM

Welcome Val

Post by SarahM »

Hi Val

Just wanted to say welcome to the boards. I'm glad you have found these mesage boards useful as everyone here is an excellent source of information and advice. Feel free to ask anything if it will help you on your road to recovery.

I hope you find some fellow South African's too.

Best wishes

Sarah