Invalid Session?

For information and questions on how to use the discussion board (do not post ostomy related questions in this area!).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct. This particular area of our board is only for issues on how to use the board, not for ostomy-related questions!
Juuust_Jim

Invalid Session?

Post by Juuust_Jim »

Anyone else getting this "Error" Messsage when posting or sening PM's? I've been getting it everytime for a week or so, and I have to re-send 3 times to get it to Post. :?:
"Causing mayhem on Message Boards for nearly a Decade!"
Eric E

Post by Eric E »

Hello Juuust_Jim,

This link should answer your question, but so you don't have to read several pages of explanation, in a nutshell, what you see is sort of a security measure to keep a malicious person (or robot) from hijacking your account. You are identified on the board with something called a "Session ID," which is sort of like a Student ID, SSN, or whatever. Actually, think of it more like taking a number in line because you are given a new one every time you log in, I think.

Where the security comes in, is checking your IP and also your Session ID. Things need to match up, otherwise, it will kill your session, which, again is a good thing. What may be contributing to your problem is your Internet Service Provider (ISP) assigning "proxy" IP's to you, and not allowing you to keep a static IP address. However, measures were taken to relax the strict matching of IP's, but the proxy issue has been hard to get around.

I don't know what to say to do, but you can check your IP and see if it keeps changing while you are using your computer, or check up on your ISP. Hopefully it is just a temporary issue. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Eric
LeeAnn

Post by LeeAnn »

There have also been some server issues as of late. Therefore, running into such a problem may be a server issue and you may need to continue to 'try again'.........sorry.

You can try to write a PM or post in a notebook type program and copy and paste it, so that it is not lost if something happens while you are trying to post it. I do hate having to retype a post, especially if it is a long one.

LeeAnn
You are always right where you need to be to take the next step beyond .GF
Juuust_Jim

Post by Juuust_Jim »

Well, I have never lost a post or message LeeAnn. When I get the "invalid session please try again" message, I just click on "Submit" again, and usually after the 3rd time it will accept and go through.
Eric E

Post by Eric E »

I've gotten weird problems just making posts sometimes. My rule of thumb is...if it's important enough, just make sure you highlight and copy ahead of time, so you can quickly paste it if it doesn't go through.

Eric
Juuust_Jim

Post by Juuust_Jim »

I learned It was a good idea to do that on Myspace a few yrs ago, kinda a "Blog Back-up plan" :x :roll:
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Post by Bob Webtech »

Juuust_Jim,

As LeeAnn pointed out, we did have some server issues, but that was pretty much resolved about two weeks ago. The link provided by Eric is probably the correct explanation. If you check that link, you'll notice that it refers to ISPs that use "proxy farms" and it singles out AOL as an especially problematic case. Jim, I can tell from your IP address(es) that you're connecting through AOL proxy servers!

Back in Fall 2005, just a few days after we started this board, because of the many problems experienced by AOL users, I posted a message titled "Special Note for AOL Users" at http://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58 which is one of the "Sticky" postings in our "Help Using the Discussion Board" area. In fact, because of the way I've rigged this board, if you're connecting through AOL proxy servers, you ought to see a note in red at the top of the page saying "AOL users: Having trouble registering or posting?" and inviting you to read this "Special Note." This note explains how AOL users can avoid connecting through AOL's proxy servers, which ought to provide a much more stable connection when using discussion boards based on phpBB and similar software.
Bob Baumel, UOAA discussion board administrator