Can profiles include surgery/disease info?

For information and questions on how to use the discussion board (do not post ostomy related questions in this area!).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct. This particular area of our board is only for issues on how to use the board, not for ostomy-related questions!
Lisa in GA

Can profiles include surgery/disease info?

Post by Lisa in GA »

Hi Bob - could there be an place in the profile for surgery type/date/diagnosis, etc? That would be interesting to know this about members if they choose to disclose the info. Thanks!!! Lisa
Eric E

Information in Profile

Post by Eric E »

Lisa,

I totally agree that we should have some sort of place for that info in our profile. Afterall, a "profile" is supposed to tell a little about you! Of course, it should all be voluntary. Bob, what do you think about this? I am betting that many people would be willing to release their surgery/diagnosis information. I think it would be beneficial, especially for the less-involved people, or those who have yet to post because they are wanting to "belong." Knowing that someone else has a similar situation would be a godsend to them. They might be prompted to post more often, or meet new people. Also it would be beneficial for people who have friends who are in that situation. They could possibly get people into contact with each other. And since it is all just text, it cannot possibly be a drain on server space! Even less than the avatars, which by the way, are looking good everyone! Out.
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Post by Bob Webtech »

Lisa and Eric,

Unfortunately, this software doesn't have any built-in capability to add new profile fields. Someone has apparently written a custom "MOD" for that purpose. However, as this MOD is still under development, I am reluctant to install it. I may experiment with it at some point...

Bob
Eric E

fields

Post by Eric E »

Perhaps, if people wanted to, they could list such information under Interests? Just a thought... Have a good one. Out.
Eric E

info posted

Post by Eric E »

OK, I tried including my "diagnosis" information in the Interests field in my profile, and it seems to work, though, it is meshed in with everything else. Nonetheless, if someone was dying to know what my diagnosis is and what procedure I currently do, it is all there now! What do you all think on this? Out.
robin from nj

location, location, location

Post by robin from nj »

Gee - and I thought location referred to stoma site :D
(see profile)
Eric E

Jersey?

Post by Eric E »

I did not realize that Sigmoidostomy was a town in Jersey! Is it anywhere near Hoboken? Or Bradley Beach?
Lisa in GA

Post by Lisa in GA »

Hey Eric - good idea putting it somewhere in our interests area. :) I'll try that.
I enjoy your postings - keep up the good work!!! Lisa

PS - what is Crohnie wannabe? Surely you don't want something as unpredictable and relentless as Crohns? :shock:
Eric E

blah blah blah...

Post by Eric E »

Lisa - All the "cool kids" have Crohn's. (Just kidding) Actually, I have met a lot of awesome people through UOAA/UOA, and it just so happens that the majority of them have Crohn's/Colitis, which is to be expected based on the natural occurrences of these conditions. I often get lost in reading many of the posts here, since a lot of it does not apply to me, and I do not know what a..." " is. Some say I am just jealous, but some have made me an honorary Crohnie! Not to go as far as experiencing what you all have to go through, and believe me, from the stories I have heard, Crohn's can be INSANE, I still want to somehow relate. I want to say, "I feel your pain!" But, in reality, it is not the case, not worse, or better, just different...apples and oranges. OK, not too different, so lets say oranges and grapefruit! Not to change the subject, I met an older woman with Crohn's today, apparently a friend of my mother's, though she had the brunt of her battle in the 80's, which she said was crazy because they did not have nearly the information about the disease as they have today. I always delight in meeting people with diseased intestines, or some sort of anal-rectal malformation outside of our nice little group here, though I certainly would not wish to see that more people have to go through such ordeals! However, because we have gone through all this, I think we totally have come out better people, more mature, and a deeper insight to life. ...And this has really turned into a long rant, that probably is not all that pertinent to this section, being the "Help Using the Discussion Board" section! Well, Lisa, I see that you tried out the whole "adding" to your profile thing! Hopefully others will give it a go! Its nearly 3AM here, and I "should" go to bed! You all have a grand day, and KEEP ON BAGG'N! Out.

PS - I like all non-Crohnies too! OBVIOUSLY, we are quite a diverse, but blessed group!