New Forum

For information and questions on how to use the discussion board (do not post ostomy related questions in this area!).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct. This particular area of our board is only for issues on how to use the board, not for ostomy-related questions!
JennieLind

New Forum

Post by JennieLind »

I would be interested in know if a new forum could be created for non-ostomy related health issues. I know we have the 'On the lighter side' forum, but it would be great to have a forum for things that are not light or funny.

For instance: there is a thread about weight issues going on in the general forum which is not really ostomy related, but a post surgery issue and therefor still an issue many of us are dealing with.

Also, there may be people out there dealing with other post-surgery issues that aren't really ostomy related in nature.

I know Ostomyland has forums like these, but not everyone here knows about Ostomyland, and besides wouldn't you guys like to make this website as user friendly as you can?

What do you think?

I'd appreciate your hearing your thoughts on this matter.

Thank you,
Jen
Cancer treatment over! Neuropathy in hands and feet.
Never Give UP!
LeeAnn

Post by LeeAnn »

Jen,
There are many different views about creating different forums. I will take it to the moderators and other admins and we will discuss it. Know that there is a fear of getting too many different forums for people to navigate around. One of the things that this board has always taken pride in is its agility for manoeuvring around. Though, we are always open to suggestions and such. There is always room for improvement.

It is agreed that 'the lighter side' may not be the best name for that forum. Know that there is and has been discussion about changing the name of that forum. If that is done, it may take care of some of the 'where do I post this' issues. The lighter side was not created with the idea that it be a joke section to begin with. It was created for all those other issues that are not directly ostomy related. It was created as an area for the 'off topic' (meaning ostomy) things to be posted there.

Will keep you posted and others as to that possibility.

LeeAnn
You are always right where you need to be to take the next step beyond .GF
JennieLind

Post by JennieLind »

Thanks LeeAnn,

Actually, changing the name of that forum would probably take care of the problem. There could be threads for various issues and concerns. It would end up being a very broad topic forum, but that would be ok I guess. I would be very pleased to be kept informed about whatever is decided.

Thanks again!
Jen
Never Give UP!
LeeAnn

Post by LeeAnn »

Jen and anyone else,
We are looking at, after much discussion, to changing the name of "The Lighter Side ....." to "Aside from the Ostomy Experience"... this way those who wish to post things that are on topics that are not ostomy related can post them there. This opens the forum and relieves doubt as to what belongs there. Any topic , from diet to family issues would fit in there. How does that sound?

LeeAnn
You are always right where you need to be to take the next step beyond .GF
majormom2u

Post by majormom2u »

Dear JennieLind and LeeAnn,

From a "joker's" perspective... that sounds great!...
Shhhh!... maybe we'll get all those good members that haven't yet, to join us there... some friends have gotten the wrong impression and think that "the Lighter Side" is just for jokes... and it's not... Yes, we laugh a lot there, but we also deal with very serious topics that happen to be not related to our stomas and... I, for one, would have loved to have received advise from the likes of Terry (our friend on the other side of the pond) and all those great, knowledgable people on some of the issues that I have posted that are terribly serious (and have even prompted some people to pm me to say that the topic was out of place in "The Lighter Side")...

Well, if by changing the name, we can clarify this forum's purpose, and "tempt" our other friends to come in, read and participate in non-ostomy related issues, that will be fantastic!... we all know their input would be greatly appreciated... So, let's just do it!... Shhh... we'll still sneak a funny one once in a while!...

I'm standing behind you sisters!!...

Sandy
Uhh.. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
JennieLind

Post by JennieLind »

Hi LeeAnn,

Thanks for staying on top of this for all of us. I agree with Sandy, it would be good to have a place to discuss 'non ostomy related issues' that can be either funny or serious. While this site is generally a 'ostomy' support site, I think a forum like this would be a great opportunity for us to support each other in other aspects of our lives (and I don't know about you guys but my ostomy often plays a role in those other issues, especially if I'm having a 'off' ostomy day with leaks and the like :roll: ). It would also allow us to get to know each other in different ways, which could really benefit us in learning how to support each other better.

I'm sorry Sandy that you received those pm's . I understand that some people take rules and guidelines very seriously, which I certainly respect, though in this case perhaps a little too seriously. We are, after all, here to try to help each other. A different name for the forum should take care of that problem for everyone.

Thanks again LeeAnn,
Jen
Never Give UP!