Chat Room? (and other issues...)

For information and questions on how to use the discussion board (do not post ostomy related questions in this area!).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct. This particular area of our board is only for issues on how to use the board, not for ostomy-related questions!
Eric E

Chat Room? (and other issues...)

Post by Eric E »

Hey everyone and Bob, or anyone who makes stuff happen,

I am looking forward to this chat room thingy. Any timetable on when that will be up and running? Any other bells and whistles in the near future? I like the board so far! My only beef would have to be it needs some sort of dilineation of which post/reply is responding to which post. In practice, it is as if, a new post always responds to the preceding post, yet in theory, the "poster" may have meant to respond to the "head post," or the first post in that topic string. Any way to make it so we can respond to specific posts on a post string?

Perhaps we could also add avatars, but have them stored on another site. We have about 200 members right now, and I want to say that, over the next year, we will reach about 400. I would suspect maybe 2/3 of the people might like an avatar. If an avatar, like an AOL Instant Messenger buddy icon can be limited to 6 KB, and about 270 users have one, that equates to 1620 KB, which is like 1.3 MB. That could probably be easily stored somewhere, even on our site. And if users with dialup have an issue, well, since we list 50 members per page in the members list, and about 33 users have an avatar (going with my 2/3's theory again), that amounts to 200K loaded, which is basically the size of a "moderately" large picture, which will take a dialup user at most 30 seconds to load. Of course, perhaps an option can be available to view people's profiles without avatars, like a "dialup friendly" mode. Anyway, I just think avatars might be a cool thing, so if we do not know each other, we could definitely put a face to the names we see, or just so we could have some fun! Well, thats my case for avatars, and as "baseless" as it may be, I still think it is a worthy addition to the board, as the board software seems to have been designed to support them!

Also, any chance of expanding the boards, including other age groups? For now, I like reading the general board, as I had avoided that one in the past back in the UOA days, but perhaps additional boards for "diverse" topics might be nice. It might encourage more people to post, especially when the board tailors to their specific needs. Is it an issue of affiliation? Are we waiting for more specific groups to affiliate with the organization?

OK, sorry for the long rant. I really do like our new discussion board. I just think we could make a few changes to "enhance" our experience here. Sorry for taking up everyone's time. Have a great day and keep on bagg'n!

Eric
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Post by Bob Webtech »

Hey Eric,

All of these issues will be addressed. For now, I have enabled avatars.

Bob
Eric E

Sweet!

Post by Eric E »

Sweet! Nice avatar Bob! Have a good one! You rock!
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I'll try this one. Steve
Mara

Post by Mara »

Thanks, Bob, you're the man! :wink:
Arlene in PA

Post by Arlene in PA »

what is an avatar?
Eric E

Post by Eric E »

An avatar is a small picture representing you. It can be a picture of yourself, or some other random picture. It just has to be no larger than 80x80 pixels. Check around the board for how to make an avatar if you are having trouble. You could always send me a picture, and I can whip it up for you. My email is listed. Out.