how do I add a photo (not an avatar)

For information and questions on how to use the discussion board (do not post ostomy related questions in this area!).
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Bob Webtech, Jimbob

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct. This particular area of our board is only for issues on how to use the board, not for ostomy-related questions!
lacemaker

how do I add a photo (not an avatar)

Post by lacemaker »

how do I add a photo to a post for members to see.
I'm not lost,this is just a diversion

Urostomy & Colostomy.Short bowel
majormom2u

Post by majormom2u »

Hi there!

All you need to do is highlight the link for the photo... then come to your post, click on the "Img" icon... paste the link right after that and click on the "Img " again... that's it!....

One example:

that is how should look like in your message body area... then, when may "preview" to check it out and/or submit for all of us to enjoy!!!

Good luck!!!

SandyImage
Uhh.. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
Bob Webtech
Site Admin

Post by Bob Webtech »

This question comes up a lot, so I'll add some more information. The first point to understand (implicit in Sandy's post above but not stated explicitly): Before you can add a picture to your posting, the picture must already be available on the Internet. For this purpose, you can start by posting your photo on a (free) "photo sharing" site such as photobucket.com or flickr.com or maybe in web space provided by your ISP or in some other website you have access to.

Once the picture is available on the Internet, and you know its URL, you can include it in a posting by inserting a snippet of code as described by Sandy above. This "hot links" the picture so it looks like part of your posting even though, technically, it still resides on the website where you posted it (e.g., photo sharing site), and it doesn't use any storage or 'bandwidth' from our site. For more information on this process, particularly regarding displayed size of pictures, see Linda's post at viewtopic.php?p=77069#p77069

A couple of warnings about this process:
  1. The process depends on the [img] tag which is part of the board's BBCode system. Therefore, BBCode needs to be enabled in your posting. The easiest way to ensure this is by setting "Always allow BBCode" to "Yes" in your board profile. There's also a checkbox for enabling or disabling BBCode in the windows for posting individual messages.
  2. Not all photo sharing sites are usable for this purpose. For example, one of our users tried using the "Kodak Gallery" site but found that it didn't work because that site doesn't allow its pictures to be "hot linked" from other sites such as ours.
Remember that the procedure discussed in this thread is for pictures to be displayed in the body of a post--not for "avatars" which are the very small pictures that can be displayed beneath your name alongside your posts. If you need help creating or posting an avatar, see the thread at viewtopic.php?t=158
Bob Baumel, UOAA discussion board administrator