ace irrigations

For discussion of intestinal and urinary diversions that avoid wearing an external waste collecting device.
Anyone can read. Only registered users can post.
No commercial posting allowed.

Moderators: Jimbob, Lynne

Forum rules
Before posting, please read our Discussion Board Terms and Conditions and our Code of Conduct.
deblb

ace irrigations

Post by deblb »

My daughter has the ACE but has been having some difficulty with irrigations lately. She irrigates with 2 liters of Golytely and 2 crushed Ducolax each night. For the past 5 nights she has had very little output of stool and no output of Golytely. I do not know where all of this fluid is going because I know that it does not absorb. She has been quite uncomfortable. Does anyone have any ideas? I called her GI, and he told me to give her a Fleet enema which I did, with very little results. This is not the first time that this has happened. She has been going through this for about 3 months on and off. :? Help!! [She is 14.]
sheri, Cameron's mom

ACE

Post by sheri, Cameron's mom »

We use 550 ml lukewarm water, 3/4 tsp of salt, 1/2 adult enema and 5ml of glycerine for our 6 y/o's ACE recipe. Can you throw all of these ingredients into the kangaroo bag and flush her with a potent recipe such as this? Sounds like she's pretty backed up. I'd want to get a flat plate xray ASAP to see if there is a blockage. When Cam has trouble emptying, I insert a 22" foley cath rectally as he's sitting on the potty and it suctions out a lot of the liquid and helps dislodge things that can get stuck....ugh...grapeskins, popcorn, apple skins, etc..

I belong to a group of parents whose children have Anorectal Malformations if you're interested. Many of us have children with Malone's. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/IA-parents/ is the web address. We also host a monthly chat with Dr. Marc Levitt of the Colorectal Center for Children in Cincinnati through this group which is very beneficial to our members.

Good luck with the cleanout! Feel free to drop me a pm.

Sheri - mom to Cameron 6 w/HIA (VACTERL...) Now has an ACE Malone and is loving it!
deblb

ace irrigations

Post by deblb »

Hi Sheri,
Thank you for the input. My Hannah has irrigated with the same recipe as Cameron in the past, but unfortunately it failed to clean her. She actually was up to 1,000ml of saline, a Fleet and glycerine before her GI in Boston switched her to the Golytely and Ducolax. She was in the hospital last week for 4 days for a number of tests. We are still waiting for the results. In addition to her Anorectal Malformation her GI thinks that she may have very limited or no motility in her colon. We have been to many doctors to help her, but have not really found the solutions yet. We have only been with the Boston group for about 3 months now.
Oh, and on a totally different subject, I also have a son named Cameron! :)
Thanks
Rosemort2004

Post by Rosemort2004 »

For my daughters ACE we use 500mls saline with 40mls glycerine and 1 bisalax. Bisalax is the liquid microenema version of biscodyl. It is good stuff and much more effective than fleet which doesn't really work for us either.

Rosemary
NZ
spasman

Post by spasman »

I agree with Rose.Bisocadyl(Dulcolax) is a good motility pill.

I'm interested in getting a 22" tube for gas decompression as well.
It is for me.Let me know if you can help.
Interest me:(MACE procedure) or ostomy to decompress the colon.
gillian

Re: ace irrigations

Post by gillian »

spasman, did you get a tube for gas decompression? Can you explain it to me? I have a foley catheter (waiting for a bard button) with a colostomy bag over the ACE for decompression. It causes me a lot of problems.